Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

2009 Chevy K3500 cab & chassis w/ utility body and 34K

Customer Question

2009 Chevy K3500 cab & chassis w/ utility body and 34K miles.
Engine shut off while driving.
Found it to be a fuse related to the ignition, 15 amp fuse location # ***** in the main fuse panel under the hood. Changed fuse and it ran good for 3-4 days.
Went to start it today and it started normally and ran for about 30 seconds and shut off again. Won't crank. All other elec. systems normal.
Checked fuses. No. #19 was OK but this time it was fuse #56 another 15 amp fuse. changed that and it starts and runs normally for about three seconds and shuts off after blowing fuse # ***** again. Changed the fuse about 5 times and can only get it to run for about 3 seconds.
On a separate note there are a lot of chipmunks around here that like to nest in my vehicles and equipment and eat electrical wire insulation. However I do not see any obvious evidence under the hood.
Got any ideas ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

I would look at the harness under the truck that run to the fuel tank and check for damage. critter damage is a real issue in many areas.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The harness under the truck looks to be in excellent condition.
So my question would be as to where exactly the blown fuse electrical wiring would lead to?
The circuit number in the main fuse panel (under hood) is location #56. pcm-ign 15 amp fuse.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

I cannot tell you exactly anywhere since I am here and not there to examine myself. you will have to start with the fuse panel and look at the all the wrappings for any damaged areas for the issue

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question would be as to where exactly the blown fuse electrical wiring would lead to?
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

this is one of the power feeds to the pcm. it runs from the fuse block to the pcm. this is all under the hood. at least this will narrow down the area for the failure.

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out