BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

When the truck is parked and idling, should you be able to

Customer Question

when the truck is parked and idling, should you be able to turn your wheels freely left to right or should it have allot of resistance after you turn the first 10-20%? when my truck is idling during warm up and you try and turn the wheel is doesn't turn max left or right like my wifes suv. my power steering pump went out at 6000k miles a few years back so I'm not sure. the brakes still work.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. If the system does not provide assitance at idle then the pump may be going out or the belt may be loose. If the belt is fine and if the pump is putting out good pressure then the spool valve in the steering box may be clogged. Some of the time flushing out the power steering fluid will correct this. In other cases the gear box needs to be replaced. I typically also recommend checking to make sure that none of the joints in the front end are binding either. I hope this helps. let me know if you need more assistance.