Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I have a Chevy 2003 3500 with 8.1. I am getting a "Reduced

Customer Question

I have a Chevy 2003 3500 with 8.1. I am getting a "Reduced engine power" msg. I have taken it to a couple local mechanics and after one changed the main fuel pump and another one said it was the Throttle body and changed that. It still will not run.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what trouble code is setting in the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not. At one time they told me it wasn't giving any codes
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

If the reduced engine power message is coming on, there will be trouble codes set. The throttle is electronically controlled, so if there is a problem in the throttle body, accelerator pedal position sensor, throttle control module, or the wiring, this message will display. Since the throttle body has been replaced, this does narrow down the possibilities somewhat, but there are still numerous components that could cause the problem. You could double check the wiring and then replace the accelerator pedal (comes with the sensors) and you would likely fix the problem. If you want to be more certain, pulling the computer codes will help to be more specific. Most any auto parts store can pull the codes for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the accelerator pedal and sensor but still no luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would take it and get a parts store to pull the codes but it will not run good enough to get there.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

See if they have a tool loaner program, they may let you sign out a scan tool to read the codes.