Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

We are working on a 2008 HHR SS with a 2.0l turbo. We are

Customer Question

We are working on a 2008 HHR SS with a 2.0l turbo. We are getting a lot of fuel in the oil. Could a fuel rail pressure sensor cause this or is it more likely the high pressure pump on the engine. Of course we are also experiencing excessive smoke from the tailpipe as it runs. Thank you, Marty
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** usually means the pump has failed which has a built in regulator. Test the low pressure fuel pressure again, should average near 60 PSI. Test voltage drop across the fuel pump in the tank, Gray wire, pin D and Black wire, pin A. Should see near 13-14 V with engine running. If OK, replace the tank fuel pump, recheck operation. Here are replacement instructions, let me knwo if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8we0pexenrgrnd8/hpfprr.pdf?dl=0

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan, is the regulator on the tank fuel pump or the one on the engine?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It is in the tank pump but high pressure pump on engine is the most likely problem. So if low pressure tests good replace high pressure pump. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan, just to clarify, if the voltages and pressure is ok at the tank pump then it is most likely the engine mounted pump not the tank pump.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Correct, also verify low pressure is good. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan, we have 2 grey wires at the connector a large grey and a small one. The fuel pressure was 69 psi. Which wire do we need to check the voltage on?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It will be larger gray wire at pin D of connector. It is probably fine considering fuel pressure was 69 psi. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The mass airflow sensor and oxygen sensor can also cause it to run rich. You can disconnect each to see if the black smoke stops, if so replace sensor. If not, continue with high pressure pump. Let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan thank you for your help, now all I need to do is give the customer heart failure due to the cost of that pump. Marty
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, let me know how it goes. You can order pump from www.rockauto.com to save money. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.