GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2010 Chevy Express 1500. On my way home one day the

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Chevy Express 1500. On my way home one day the van just stalled out and would not start. Spray starting fluid in the air breather and then started off I thought it was fuel pump replaced fuel pump still same problem replaced ignition switch still the same problem sounds good but will not start
Category: Chevy
Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

My name is ***** ***** I am a licenced diagnostic technician with over 20 years experience.

I will do my best to help you with your automotive problem. Please remember, I cannot see, hear or feel your vehicle which can make diagnosing very complicated and some vehicle require extensive diagnotics that require certain diagnostics computers that can not be done over a computer or phone.Please be patient as I am not online 24 hours a day, as I do work, but I do check my page every day.A positive rating is always appreciated for my time and knowledge to help you with your problem.

Is your fuel pump getting 12v at the connector?

we will also need to know if the fuel relay is getting engergized.

The fuel pump relay will activate for 2 to 3 seconds when you turn the ignition on. you will hear a click.

IF you locate the fuel pump relay in the underhood fuse relay box, and swap it with another of the same that is not needed to run (ex...horn, highbeams). IF it starts when you swap relays than you have to replace it.

IF it doesnt start than we have to check the wiring under the relay box.

let me know when you check these things and we will go from there.

IF you have any more questions in the meantime id be happy to help

cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked to see if fuel pump was getting power to it with a test light and itwas.Fuel relay is clicking when key is turned on.I also switched it out with another one and same thing happens.

ok. thats good.

there is a ground for the fuel pump in the left inner frame rail. so make sure the ground is good.

so we will need to see if we these things.

1. ground for fuel pump

2. fuel pressure - psi?

3. injector pulse

4. spark - I know it is probably ok since you have it running a bit with ether, but its good to double check.

Please check every fuse undeer the hood and interior fuses

If possible can you scan fir any codes?

let me know on these things and well be in the right direction

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ground is ok
Did not check Fuel pressure
Do not know how to check injector pulse
scan for codes and these came upP1682----manufactuer specific
P0452---evaporator emissions system/Pressure sensor switch low
P0463---Fuel level sensor A circuit high

the p1682 is a pwertrain relay code,

go into the underhood fuseblock and swap relay 49 (per/trn) with another one of the same , like the horn one as its not as important right now, and see if it starts.

i have included a diagram for you

also check the pcm connector and make sure it has a good connection.

The other code is emmision and will not cause no start

im dsorry, i forgot the injector pulse question,

this can be done with a test light.

Unplug one of the injectors, test for 12v power at one of the terminals. one should light up the test light.

plug the connector back in and swap the test light connnector from ground to power terminal on battery. now your light will light up when you touch a ground. make sure to check that it does light up at battery terminals before testing.

than backprobe the other wire at the injector connector. vrank the engine and it should flash if there is pulse. just make sure you have good connection or you can be chasing your tail.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
switches 49 with 15 and will not start

ok,

you will have to check the fuel pressure and injector pulse to see which is missing.

also, can you swap those 2 relays back and swap 49 with 48 instead? or a different one? just because 15 is a run crank relay, and if either of those are gone it will not start lol

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
switched out with 40 and still no start.How do i check fuel pressure and injector pulse.the pcm connector is at the front of tank correct

the pcm/ecm is located in the engine compartment. i have included a diagram for you. this is the connector you check for a good connection

The fuel pressure test will need to be done with a pressure gauge. there is a shreader valve port on top of the

fuel rail. this is where you connect the guage too.

The injector control test... I included directions in the previous reply before the most recent.

these 2 test are critical to know if we have fuel pressure and injector operation, it will not start without either of these so you need to know which one is missing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have never workrd on fuel injector.Where are they located.Sorry

no problem, let me find you a diagram

i just noticed this had a fuel pressure sensor too,

see if you can locate fuel pressure on your scan tool, it will be in the live data section

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing labeled in diagram you sent,I do not have a live data section onscan tool.I really would like to find out what the problem is today.

I'm just goin to opt out today, as I am at work today and won't be able to help.

MIT will be hard to find the missing links without the proper tools.

Another expert should be able to help you

Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

HI there, New expert here. With your system, is there anything aftermarket installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I am aware of.When I turn the engine over it just sounds like it is getting no gas.I pulled every fuse out again this am and same thing,I am pretty good at hands on fixing things on automobiles just have never had this ptoblem.If you think we can do this over phone i have no problem doing so

I would love to contact you on the phone but we may be limited without the live data on the scanner. That is important information on these systems with the level of computer integration in them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can i tell if there is live data on scanner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can the new fuel pump be bad as well

Basically put, the live data we want would not be on a small hand held device.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is hand held

Ideally it would be something like a Tech 2, snap on Solus, that sort of tool .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where exectly is the fuel pump ground

G400 is left inner side of the frame, Top left picture, call out #2.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just was able to check fuel pressure there is none.Screw on to scradder valve and try to start correct.

What is yourVIN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1GCUGADX5A1150658

Ok, do you hear anything on the pump in tank when turning its on?
What I want you to do is remove the fuel pump relay. We are going to bypass the relay. To do this use the wire to jump the slots that the wire goes into. The pins we need are pins 30 and 87. They are on opposite corners to each other, and you can use the numbers which are stamped on the bottom of the relay to identify which is which. Install the jumper and see if the pump turns on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
jumped and still no start or pressure

Is there power to one leg of the relay then? Is there ground from the pump? Our testing now is to see if first that relay clicks, second if there is power being sent from that relay to the pump and third if the pump ground is solid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the relay clicks.I have dropped the tank.can i check to see if power is getting to the pump.The 3 pin or 4 pin connector.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the box that is connected to the fuel tank and also has a 2 pin connector

That is the EVAP system for handling the fuel vapours.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you see question reguarding power to pump

Sorry I misunderstood. The 3 pin is a pressure sensor on the tank for the evap system. The 4 pin connector is the pump connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh ok.,I can do what i said but to the 4 pin

The grey wire on one end is the power and the black on the other is the ground. The middle 2 wires are for the level sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well it looks like i am not getting powe to the pump.I took out relay and put test light on it and get power from the 30 pin while key is on.Take light to pump and no light while turning key on and off.what next.I made sure i had a good ground on light.

The power to 30 or 87 should be there all the time. The pin you get power on with the key on only is the power to run the fuel pump relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dhould get power when i turn the key on gray wire at pump correct.

You will get the 2 second prime cycle at the pump, then it will turn off, then power will return if you crank the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not getting nothing,

Take a couple mins to verify relay pins. Do any get power all the time, even with the key off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK and if you jumper that pin to the opposite corner, do you then get power at the fuel pump? If no then you have a break in the wire between that fuse block and the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i get power.however the test light is very dim.I am confused about fuel pump ground.I cannot see anything on inside of rail however i do see a ground screw up front which it looks very dirty and corroted on main frame

OK, progress. IF you use a different ground, is the light bright? IF so then splice a new ground to the ground wire. There is no reason you cannot add another ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was talking about main ground from harness.Took it loose and cleaned it no change.will check power with relay in in a minute maybe i could not see the light earlier because it was so dim

The light should be as bright as testing the battery,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just tried it with and without the jumper wire and with the jumper it stays lit but dim.When i put the relay it it worked the first time with dim light on but after turning key off would not light again so then i took out relay installed jumper again and light would stay dim after unhooking light and then rehooking lead.Took jumper out installed relay and the light came on for a second or so ,tuenen key off tried it again and light would not come on

OK so testing the source at the relay pins, the light is bright? If so then you need to trace that grey wire from the pump to the fuse block and see if there is corrosion in any conenctor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 12 volt test light..Does this matter

Nope, the light must be as bright at the relay and the fuel pump connector as it is when you test at the battery positive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can the relay itself be bad.Not send enough power

Yes, but that’s why I suggested you use a jumper from pins 30 to 87, it eliminates the relay, or swap the relay from the horn or some other system to that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the jumper wire it shows dim light which is telling us there is corrosion or something wrong with the grey wire.Can i jump the pump from battery to the grey pin and black pin directly to see if that would work.That would definately tell me there is a wiring problem.If i put a lead on ground and lead on gray wire to see if it has continuity.what should it show as far as volts

Yes, you can jump the grey to battery and see if the power is full. You should see the same as testing battery, 12.6 volts.
While checking, make sure you have a solid ground at the back.