GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My 01 astro van died on the ghway, fuel pump was bad,

Customer Question

My 01 astro van died on the highway, fuel pump was bad, changed pump and filter still wouldn't start. pulled dog house and have 1 spark when turning key forward and none when cranking. replaced cam position, crank position, cap, rotor, and now gonna do the ignition control mod and coil. Any suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

My name is ***** ***** I am a licenced diagnostic technician with over 20 years experience.

I will do my best to help you with your automotive problem. Please remember, I cannot see, hear or feel your vehicle which can make diagnosing very complicated and some vehicle require extensive diagnotics that require certain diagnostics computers that can not be done over a computer or phone.Please be patient as I am not online 24 hours a day, as I do work, but I do check my page every day.A positive rating is always appreciated for my time and knowledge to help you with your problem.

Did you notice if you had injector pulse when cranking? that will determine if we are into a secondary ignition problem or signal reference problem.

Also do you have access to a scanner to pull a data stream? id like to know if you have a rpm reference when cranking.

There is a good chance that it is the coil and module assembly, but you are probably sick of just putting parts in by now.

LEt me know on those things and ill help you out the best i can!

cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't have a noide set with me here. I pluged in an OBDII scanner and it powers up but say no comunication with ECM. Just noticed that the fuel pump isn't cycling with key on, jumped plug and pump runs, tried 3 other relays and don't here the pump turn on. Van has not had any issues since i bought it 4 years ago.

ok,

did you check every fuse in the vehicle? both underhood and interior fuse blocks?

the ecm communication problem is where we should be looking i think.

Im going to have a look at the diagram

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked every fuse twice, all where good. Just seems so weird to me, like the computer just failed. I sell bus parts and have a good mechanical understanding. Pretty much willing to try anything at this point

ok,

Im going to send you the pcm wiring diagrams, there are 4 of them.

print them off and we will check a few things

IF the powers and grounds are good for the pcm, than it probably is. so pop the pcm out and back probe the terminals and lets make sure that all the 12v feeds and grounds are good..

IF one are missing than we will have to chase that.

give me a few mins and ill upload them for you

cam

im kind of hoping is a connection or a wire under the fuse block asssembly

1 and 2

3 and 4.

let me know what you find.

Also please check for 12 at the injectors and 5v reference at the sensors

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Printing now

also, do you have a test light?

you can use that as a noid to check for pulse at the injectors too.

Im sending the data link connector diagram too to check for power and grounds to.

ill be online on and off tonight, and im off this weekend so ill be checking my pages all weekend. hopfully we can get your van gointhis weekend

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have s test light and can have a noid set tomorrow. I'll be calling it a night soon if the ICM and coil I'm about to put in do not fix it

ok. let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still no change

ok,

tommorow, check the pcm powers and grounds, 12v at the injectors, 5v ref at sensors and pulse at injectors and well go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also just noticed the fuel gauge is reading empty when there is close to a full take of gas, shift indicator does not shoe the red square around the P for park
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Be at van in 20-39 minutes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm back at the van
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the ECU case is ground with key off and Positive with the key on, is that correct?

no, the ecu body should never be powered. it should always be open, but securley attached to the body ground. IF the actual ecu housing is 12v than something is not right there. I dont think i have ever seen a computer casing powered. that would be something internal in the ecu if you have the 12v at the ecu assembly (unbolted and not touching the body) IF you have any 12v at any ground point, that would indicate a ground. this will require some searching.

also check every ground from the body to the engine, frame and body.

i can send you power distribution and ground distribution if you need. please let me know any additional diagrams you might need. I wish there was a simple answer to this, but this will involve more of a hands on approach. ITs good that you are familiar with this stuff, and it might be a good idea to have a friend that might be able to help you along.

This is one of those times i whish i could pop my head through the computer.

let me know if you need anythiung at all i i will do my best.

Again, vehicle grounds, fuse block powers, ecm powers and grounds.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the passkey system? Could that cause these issues.

Hi there I'm just finishing work soon.

When I get home I'll give you a message

hi sorry for the delay,

the passkey will not affect the fuel gauge issue. and you should still be able to access your pcm and it only effects the starter.

the concern i have is when you said that the pcm housing was 12v. thats either the computer or a ground is missing.

every pcm power and ground needs to be verified. IF all grounds and powers are present, and the dlc connector has its powers and grounds than we either have a bad pcm or a major vehicle ground is missing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the PCM is mounted to a plastic bracket. There is a 4 gauge power and ground going from alt to battery and a 0 gauge going from battery to chassis. So far every wire on the diagram is good. Do you have a diagram for the BCM? I have no fuel pump or fuel gauge, no injector pulse, spark, the red ring that goes around the PRND321 is not there either. Not sure if the passlock can do any of that stuff but the key is very worn. I bought a new key and lock set for $28 from the dealer just as a precaution. The key is worn enough to remove it from the van while engine is running. When it comes out the van would shut down some of the time. If we can get this thing figured out I have no problem throwing you some extra money for the help.

give me a minute and ill upload the bcm diagram.

I think if we can get this communicating, this will be our starting problem.

astro bcm

regarding the key, ya ive seen some of these have some pretty rough keys and not have starting issues. Even with a bad key, we should still be able to comunicate with the pcm

i might arrange to talk to you tommorow sometime.

I normally charge for this, but im really curious on this one so id like to go through a few things with you, so id call you at no charge.

let me know if you have some time tommorow night (around 9ish?) its 10:38 where i am now

cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm eastern time as well. I live in New Hampshire

ok, ill be back on tommorow night between 8 and 9 , ill see if your online. let me know how you did and if your up for a call.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have my email on my cell so I'm always available

hi again, can i get your number?

cam

i think one of your modules has locked up the entire system so i have to tell you how to bypass them all and pinpoint which module is failing. it is easier on the phone

i have to go out and do a little running around. i was hoping you were online a little early to talk before i had to go out again.

No problem though, leave your number for me and ill call you when i get back if thats ok.

It should be around 9:30. i hope thats not too late.

cam

ok, im home. let me know when u have a few minutes