GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have an 03 duramax that developed a hard to start

Customer Question

I have an 03 duramax that developed a hard to start problem.checked the pressure relief and it would start after that after about 9-10 cranks.That only lasted for about 4 or 5 starts now back to no start without using starter fluid.This problem developed gradually-at first a couple extra cranks,then a few more to start,then to no start at all with many cranks.Changed the fuel filter-no help,tried the manual pump on filter housing-no help.Truck runs like a champ after it starts.Has 51000+miles on it original.Feel like its an air leak problem or fuel pressure.Any ideas to fix?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

are there ANY visual fuel seepage marks on the filter housing at all ?

if you pull out the vent screw at the top of the housing and hand prime the pump by hand how long before you get solid fuel out of the vent ? is there no air and it has fuel right there or does it take a while to pump the air out of the fuel vent ?