GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Changing the alternator and have a couple questions on

Customer Question

Changing the alternator and have a couple questions on it. first is what is the best way to loosen that tensioner. I loosend the bolt on it and trying to push it to get the belt off the alternator was a struggle. also see the picture attached, removing the alternator I managed to break this fragile plastic tube some kind of vaccum I imagine, wondering what it is and do I need to worry about it or tape/plug it off. I tried to put some arrows where it broke and where it hooks up thanks.

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Shane Bassetti replied 1 year ago.

You do not loosen a bolt on the tensioner, you use a breaker bar or ratchet with a 5/8 socket to swing the tensioner to relieve tension. If its the plastic on the alternator it is more or less a duct to funnel the air to keep the alternator cool. I am not seeing an attached image with this question. Can you verify it sent. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you send me a picture. I had a 1985 silverado, a 1997 silverado and they are all different. Here is the picture on the broke vacuum line thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just cancel the question, I needed this a day ago not any more.