Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Mr. Randall, my 2005 Chevy Equinox, oil light came on when I

Customer Question

Hi Mr. Randall, my 2005 Chevy Equinox, oil light came on when I was driving I stop at a red light a couple minutes later and car killed. I managed to start it and park it. I check the dip stick and oil was low. I use the high mileage oil and is do a oil change since last oil change I drove about 3800 miles. Like a 1000 miles over the 3000 mile usual change. When I start the car I make sure the yellow oil/maintenance light goes off and it does but today when I was driving the red oil light came on and that's when I have the problem. I added light to try and make it to my mechanic but a few feet of driving the car totally shut off. Is that a safety feature so you won't burn up the engine? Also the yellow maintenance light still goes off but the red light stays on. Can you please tell me what you think is the problem? Sorry not good with car issues and hope I explained it to you enough to give me an answer. Many thanks, Paul
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Did you top off the oil level?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Is the red oil light only on at idle, or at any time when the engine is running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
staying on but the yellow oil/maintenance does go off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It went on while I was driving and it stayed on on when I turned car off and started back up while it was in idle it still is on (red light)
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

If the red oil light is staying on, there is not enough oil pressure and engine damage can occur if you keep running the engine. The vehicle should not be driven, it must be towed to your mechanic. Oil pump may have failed due to low oil level, hopefully no further damage has occured. The oil pressure sensor is connected to the computer, so the computer will shut down the fuel pump (and engine) when low oil pressure is indicated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good job thanks
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Please don't forget to rate my service today.

Dave