Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 97 k1500. I have no brake lights( including 3rd

Customer Question

I have a 97 k1500. I have no brake lights( including 3rd light) turn signals/ hazards don't work in the rear. I have a tow kit and have already changed brake switch.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

is fuse # ***** and # ***** good and show 12 volts with the key ON ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuses looks to be good how do I test that they are getting 12v
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

with a test light or a multi meter

if you slam on and off the hazard switch a few times will the rear work even for a second or two ?

also we need to know if the orange wire at the brake switch connector shows 12 volts at it and if so when you step on the brake will it show 12 volts at the white wire at the stop lamp connector wire ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I have to go get a multimeter or test light since I have neither which would work best
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

test light is cheaper and should work fine

you can visually inspect those 2 fuses to see if they are blown first before you go buy a test light

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have visually inspected both and neither is blown
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok we need to do those tests next i said

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will be able to pick up a tester around 330 cst. But should the light indicater on the tow kit brake controller be on to show its receiving power?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if it is getting power yes

but from the sounds of this if those 2 fuses are good the orange wire at the brake switch will show NO volts

then we know which way to go with this

it would make sense for what is not working that the orange wire from one of those fuses is split off and not powering the brake switch or the power to the hazard switch which usually if you follow the orange wire from the brake switch it should come to a splice with other orange wires and usually that splice is bad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will let you know when I get the tester. When I hit the hazard button they do work in the front just not the rear.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok both fuses and orange wire are getting power
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

is the white showing 12 volts when you step on the brakes ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's not
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

you replaced the brake switch with a new switch ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you unplug the brake light switch and be sure the terminals in the connector are good and not burnt at all if the terminals look good if you jump the orange wire termianl to the white terminal in the connector will the brake lights work ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's the same with both the new switch and old every wire lights up except white. How to I jump the wires
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

with a paper clip or a wire jumping the 2 terminals together

if jumping the 2 terminals makes the brake lights all come on then either one of the terminals is loose or bad or the brake switch is defective or it is not correctly installed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me check when jumping it. I think it only plugs in one way.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jumping it didn't make the brake lights come on or make the tu
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turn signals work*
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

do the front signals work ?

and fuse 16 showed 12 volts at it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to both
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

but no hazards in the rear ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok we have to have 2 problems here

first we need to correct the NO 12 volts at the white wire terminals at the brake switch when the brake pedal is pushed

you are sure the white does not show 12 volts when you step on the brake pedal and the terminals are all good and not burnt or damaged in the brake switch itself ? and visually the white wire is not cut or broken in that area of the brake pedal ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Terminals look good white wire doesn't appear to have cuts in it but it is stretched the farthest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the wire harness just be bad?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

not likely if the orange shows 12 volts and the white does NOT show 12 volts when you step on the brake lights shows the switch is defective or not locked in correctly or a terminal issue in the connector

if the white did have 12 volts then we could have a wiring harness bad

i think once we get 12 volts back on that white wire when you step on the brakes and then replace the turn signal switch assembly that also has the hazard switch built into all your problems should be corrected

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so should I put the switch all the way back on and try the wire I was just making the connection and making it click to simulate stepping on the brake so I could see it better
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok may take me a little bit
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually are you available tomorrow
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

sure thing

you can always get me back through this post for FREE with any follow up anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here