AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I just recently purchased my 98 Chevy Tahoe and in trying to

Customer Question

Hello I just recently purchased my 98 Chevy Tahoe and in trying to put the 2nd row seats down. I've lifted the seats up for your behind already and don't see a string or latch to release the upper half down
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. you have already lifted the seat bottoms up?

When you raise the seat bottoms, there is a small cable that is supposed to unlock the backrest of the seat. These cables constantly break and don't unlatch the rear seat. You should see the mechanism toward the bottom of the seat back, near the floor. Grab that mechanism with pliers and try pulling it forward to unlatch the seat back. If it's stuck, use some pb blaster or wd 40 to try and get it to loosen up so you can pull it and release the back of the seat. I will try to find you a picture of what I am talking about. Give me a minute.

Ok. I found you a picture and added an arrow to show where the cable should be attached. That mechanism will need to swing forward to unlock the backrest of the seat. Hopefully this is what you are talking about. If not, please let me know and i will do my best to get it figured out for you..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nubvizh8gindzph/tahoe%20seat%20cable.jpg?dl=0