Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

My engine stops running after about 20 minutes. Wont restart

Customer Question

my engine stops running after about 20 minutes. Wont restart without waiting another 20 minutes or 1/2 hour. Battery is good
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

When it wont start,,,have you checked for loss of spark at the spark plugs or loss of fuel pressure? It will be one or the other.

These must be tested at the time it wont start so you know which area to begin testing.

Let me know please.

If the spark is good, then most likely its a bad fuel pump. What happens is after they get hot from running for awhile, they slow down and cant make enough fuel pressure to keep the car running.(its an electric pump inside the gas tank) Its an easy test with a fuel pressure gauge connected to the fuel rail. These fuel pumps are VERY common to fail on these cars and we replace a lot of them.

I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.