GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Have an inop fuel gage, looking of Sender & tranfer pump

Customer Question

Have an inop fuel gage, looking for location of Sender & tranfer pump control module to test wiring to gage
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

Does this have an auxiliary fuel tank?

The transfer pump and sender should be in the tank unless the tank has been upgraded from the factory installed version.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has two tanks w/aux tank. ppl wire at sender reads 5VDC, blk ground, ppl wire goes to pcm but don't have the info pcm to fuel gage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well ??????
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Can you read fuel level on a scanner?

Is the gauge all the way full or empty?

If you unplug connector does what the gauge does change?

The gauge is controlled by the PCM,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanx for the info, that will be all..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I wanted to give you an update. I spent a few hours and rented a scanner. seems the senders in both tanks feed the pcm and decide when to operate the transfer pump. will remove rear sender and check screen/filter and replace noisy transfer pump.
Resetting the transfer pump codes causes the gas gage to operate gage defaults to empty with pump codes . thanx for your imput Regards, Bill