Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Thanks time. I have an 05 chevy 2500 duramax crew cab. The

Customer Question

Thanks for your time. I have an 05 chevy 2500 duramax crew cab. The passenger side window controller would roll the window down but not up. The drive side controller recently quit operating that window too (but works fine for the other windows). I put a new motor and regulator in and still nothing but a click in the switch. I put in a new switch. Still- nothing but the click. I tried a new driver's switch- still nothing but the click. The 50 amp fuse is good. I have no idea what to try now. Any suggestions?
Thanks again
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

do you have a multi meter on hand ?

at this connector at the drivers winder switch does the orange show 12 volts ? is the black a good ground ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't but can go to the Auto Parts store
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, the diagram referred to the left motor. Is that the one I want to look at for a passenger side back door window issue? (I'm not being a smart a$$... I genuinely don't know)
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

2 things we have going on here

1st off the drivers door switch assembly when replaced MUST be programmed with a scan tool with programming for it to work as it is a module

i am concerned the old switch was bad and then you installed the new switch and i am assuming it was not programmed is why the new switch is not working

if the orange has 12 volts and the black is a good ground and it has a new drivers side motor in it the drivers switch needs to be programmed and that might correct this problem just with the programming installed in it

2nd thing is if it will not work even after programming the new switch with a new motor and the wiring in the door looking good from the switch to the motor then usually these issues come down to the black not being a good ground or one if the wires in the door jam pass through is broken or cut or cracked

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

no the diagram says drivers door module which is the drivers switch assembly

and 2 of the wires in that diagram say left front up and left front down

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only tried the drivers side switch... plugged it in and it did the same thing (the click in the window switch in rear passenger side door) that my old switch did- so I didn't buy it
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok we need to see if that orange is 12 volts and if the black is a good ground

you can for testing purposes take a wire and ground it to good clean metal and stick it into the back of the black wire terminal with the switch connected and see if it works with a new good ground

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'm driving right now but will get by an auto parts store and check it worth multi meter asap and let you know what I find.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

sounds good

you can always get me back through this post for FREE for any follow up with this question anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just had a thought- in addition to the switch in the back door window not rolling it up (even before this latest), the light doesn't come with the back door open and the "door ajar" notification doesn't show. .. hasn't for a while. That couldn't be tied to this could it?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

it may be..hard to say right now

lets go after the LF window not working first

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The left front window DOES work. The left front door switch to roll up the back window (which was the only way to roll it up... the rear passenger door switch would only roll it down but not roll it up) no longer works. When I try to roll up the back window using the drivers switch, I hear a click from the rear passenger door window switch- which is new along with a new motor and regulator
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok so pull up the passenger rear switch back probing the terminals in the connectors with the switch still connected switch multi meter set to DC volts one meter lead into the brown wire terminal in the connector and other meter lead to the dark blue wire terminal with the key ON and pushing the switch up and then down will it show + 12 volts one way and -12 volts the other way ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey man. I'm sorry for delayed reply. When I Bought the meter I couldn't get s thing to show. I just came by my father in law's house (he knows way more about this than I do). He did what you said to do with brown wrote and dark blue as well as checking several other things. He said we're not getting any voltage to switch. I don't mind paying more for help- even the phone call help- I just could really use some help! I understand that it might be too late for you but if it's not, we welcome your call to(###) ###-####
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the orange wire at the switch shows NO volts ? if not see that orange wire is broken in the door jam opening

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here