Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2001 malibu cranks, sparks and has fuel at injector rail

Customer Question

2001 malibu cranks, sparks and has fuel at injector rail test port but no start / have tried the antitheft reset trick no luck
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Can you test for fuel injector pulse? This would require a multi-meter or a noid light. You can usually rent a noid light set from most parts stores. Basically it's just a light bulb that plugs into one of the fuel injector connectors. When you crank the engine, the light should blink with the injector pulse.

If you don't have injector pulse then the most likely cause on this engine is the crank position sensor.

Do you think you'll be able to test for pulse?

I can send a diagram that shows where the crank position sensor is if you are able to test for pulse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a multi-meter where are the injector connectors ? please send diagrams
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your saying if no injector pulse then it is probably crank sensor ?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

This procedure shows how to remove the injectors. You don't need to do that; just disconnect one of the connectors. This gives you an idea of their location.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will have to check tomorrow
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It's either the crank position sensor or the ignition switch on this model. Both control injector pulse.

Here is how to test the ignition switch:

At the ignition module, check the Pink wire for 12 volts key on and during cranking. Check the Black wire for chassis ground.

If losing power on the Pink wire at the ignition module, then go to the ignition switch and check the Pink wire coming from it for loss of voltage also.

This is the ignition control module.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Please don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.