JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

I have a 2003 escalade ext.. when i start my car the abs

Customer Question

hello, I have a 2003 escalade ext.. when i start my car the abs light and the traction control pop on as is says traction active.. it feels like my car loses power or is braking or maybe both...
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 1 year ago.

THE ABS Light or traction control comes on when there is a fault in the abs system. When the light is on the abs system is not working..A diagnostic scanner - computer would be required to pull the trouble code and to diagnose./.The failed component would need to be repaired or replaced to get the light to go out. likley you have a wheel speed sensor or wiring issue to a sensor

if you can get me the trouble code we can figure out whats going on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just bought a cheap scanner tool and have received the following codes...p0141 p0161 p0137 p0138...and c0455 c0035
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car also brakes on its own when I get around 25 mph

DTC C0035 or C0040

Circuit Description

As the wheels spin, each wheel speed sensor produces an AC signal. The electronic brake control module (EBCM) uses the frequency of the AC signals to calculate each wheel speed.

Conditions for Running the DTC

• The ignition is ON.
  • The vehicle speed is greater than 13 km/h (8 mph).

Conditions for Setting the DTC

Any of the following conditions may cause the DTC to set.

• The EBCM detects an open wheel speed sensor circuit for 500 milliseconds.
  • The EBCM detects a shorted wheel speed sensor circuit for 500 milliseconds.
  • The EBCM detects the absence of a wheel speed sensor signal for 5 seconds. If more than one absent wheel speed sensor signal is detected, the condition must be present for 120 seconds to set DTCs.
  • The EBCM detects an erratic wheel speed sensor signal for 200 milliseconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The EBCM disables the ABS/TCS/VSES and may disable the DRP if more than one wheel speed sensor DTC is set.
  • The ABS indicator turns ON.
  • The traction off indicator turns ON.
  • The message center displays the service stability system message.
  • The brake warning indicator may turn ON.
  • An ECE 13 response may occur. Refer to ABS Description and Operation for a complete description of ECE 13.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The Conditions for Setting the DTC are no longer present and you use the scan tool Clear DTCs function.

Diagnostic Aids

Thoroughly inspect connections or circuitry that may cause an intermittent malfunction. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections , Connector Repairs, Testing for Electrical Intermittents and to Wiring Repairs.

If the customer's concern is that the ABS indicator is on only during humid conditions such as rain, snow or vehicle wash, thoroughly inspect the wheel speed sensor circuits for signs of water intrusion. Use the following procedure in order to help isolate the problem area:

1. Spray the suspected area with a 5 percent salt water solution.
  2. Operate the vehicle at a speed greater than 13 km/h (8 mph) for at least 30 seconds.

Repair or replace the suspect harness if the DTC sets.

Antilock Brake System

Diagnostic Information and Procedures

DTC C0455

Circuit Description

The electronic brake control module (EBCM) receives several inputs from the steering wheel position sensor. 3 digital square wave signal inputs are wired directly to the EBCM harness connector; however, only signals A and B are used or monitored. The failure of the index pulse signal does not affect VSES function. The body control module (BCM), which receives an analog steering position sensor input, transmits steering position data on the serial data line.
The EBCM monitors the serial data information as an added fail-safe for the steering position sensor circuitry. Battery voltage is supplied to the digital portion of the steering wheel position sensor from the cruise control fuse. The analog portion of the steering wheel position sensor is supplied a 5.0-volt reference from the BCM. This circuit is also used for a lamp dimming function.

Conditions for Running the DTC

• The ignition is ON.
  • The VSES sensors have been successfully initialized. Refer to ABS Description and Operation (W/O JL4) ABS Description and Operation (W/JL4) for a complete explanation of VSES sensor initialization.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

• The steering angle calculated by the EBCM does not correlate with the steering angle information which is being transmitted on the serial data line.
  • When driven forward in a straight line, the centered steering angle differs by more than 30 ° from the centered steering angle when the sensors are initialized.
  • The EBCM detects an erratic signal from steering wheel position signal A or signal B.
  • The BCM detects an invalid steering wheel position sensor signal, sets a DTC, and therefore, cannot transmit valid serial data information. The BCM sends a serial data message to the EBCM, which causes the DTC to set.
  • The EBCM detects an open or shorted steering wheel position signal A or signal B, after having received a valid signal during the same ignition.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The EBCM disables the VSES.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The condition for setting the DTC is no longer present and you use the scan tool Clear DTC's function.

Diagnostic Aids

• DTC C0455 may be falsely set if you did not turn OFF the ignition for 5 seconds after clearing DTC's from the EBCM. This is why all diagnostic tables, which apply to this system, always instruct you to turn OFF the ignition for 5 seconds after clearing DTC's. If this DTC has set after you cleared DTC's from the EBCM or used the scan tool to clear all DTC's from all modules and you did not cycle the ignition afterward, it is likely that no actual malfunction exists.
  • Whenever any one of the steering signals to the EBCM is lost; the scan tool displays a fixed steering wheel position, which indicates the last known steering wheel position. This can aid you in diagnosing an intermittent malfunction.
  • If the DTC does not reset during step 2 or 3 of the diagnostic procedure, the stability system disabled message may be displayed due to an unsuccessful initialization. This occurs if the EBCM does not receive any signal from one or both of the digital inputs during the entire ignition cycle. If this occurs, refer to Stability System Disabled Indicator Always On for further diagnosis.
  • Inspect the vehicle for proper wheel alignment. Ensure the vehicle does not pull toward the left or right while driving straight forward on a level surface.
  • Communicate with the customer to determine the conditions under which the message center displays the service stability system message. Learning the conditions under which the DTC sets may help you duplicate the failure.
  • Use the Snapshot function on the scan tool in order to assist you in locating an intermittent malfunction.

Test Description

The number below refers to the step number on the diagnostic table.

1. If the DTC sets without turning the steering wheel or driving the vehicle, a malfunction exists in the analog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the abs wheel speed sensor is faulty .. can it apple brake to the car automatically
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a dmm how do I go about checking the sensor .. have the car jacked, tire removed and sensor unplugged

exactly and rotate the tire

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay.. I cleaned the plug for the wheel sensor and the abs light and tc went away... looks like the tire with hands at 9 and 3 shakes and I see tie rod end and bar that goes all the way to other tire has a lot of play. .. plus with hands at 12 and 6 the tire wobbles a lot ... think hub might need to be replaced? When I try to drive car no lights on but it says traction active and won't let me accelerate

tractive action is likely the steering angle sensor and yes up and down is either ball joint or hub and likely a loose outer tie rod........................

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey, how's it going... I ordered pitman arm idler arm with bracket inner plus outer tie rods sway bar links and wheel hub.. it should all get here tomorrow and I'll go back at it..if there is any advice other advice you can give me to make the repair easier would be appreciated. . Will Raye you as soon as I'm back on the roadď

just make sure you have it aligned when done... Did you order the steering angle sensor also?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't ordered that part . Should I ? And are there any special tool I might need for this job?

an alignment machine to set the sensor and a Tools Required

• J 42640 Steering Column Anti-Rotation Pin