Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

The headlights are going on and off ( on gh or low beam)

Customer Question

the headlights are going on and off ( on high or low beam) switch is warm to touch. let it cool down they work for a while. Chevy Suburban 1993. thanks Dave
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

when this is acting up if you wiggle the headlight switch at all will any of the headlights come on for a second ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Headlights not working at all now. Had to drive a while to a safe spot with the lights going on and off. Switch heated up. Now 1/2 hour later, no lights at all. I wiggled the switch, no effect. When I turn headlight switch to on all other lights dim. I'm at 6000 ft in the Ruby Mountains , Elko NV beautiful and cold. Thanks Dave
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Dave the odds are with that switch getting hot the electrical connector into the back that is plugged into that switch usually has a bad terminal connection which will over heat and sometimes melt the connector at the back of the head light switch

the odds are having the switch removed and that connector and terminal inspected next will usually show the headlight switch overheated which replacing the headlight switch and the terminals melted or even the connector replaced is melted enough

but that's what has to be done next especially when the switch physically will be hot

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

don't forget to rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm on the road, driving only in daylight hours from Elko NV to Flagstaff AZ. I,ll start taking things apart this afternoon in Flagstaff where I have access to tools.So I may ask more questions. Thank you.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok sounds good