Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Chevy Technician
Experience:  30 Years Experience repairing, customizing, and building chevys.
9795573

How do i tell if acrank is out of a tall deck 427 or car 427

Customer Question

how do i tell if a(###) ###-####crank is out of a tall deck 427 or car 427 assuming there is a differnce because of the bob waight differnce
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background,and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

I checked my Chevy crank number archive and there is no(###) ###-####crank listed. There are no big chevy crank numbers starting with 35.Recheck the numbers, it is real easy to get them mixed up. There is a3856223 listed. It is the only big block Chevy crank number to end with 223, and the first part of the number is ***** If the number turns out to be a(###) ###-####it is a crank made from 1965 to 1971, and was used out of the factory in 396, and 402 engines. It has 2.75mains, 2.20 rod bearings, and is made out of nodular iron. Nodular iron is a very tough type of iron, it does fall short of a steel crank in strength. While the stroke is correct for a 427 the factory balance will be off for use in a 427, normal, or tall deck block. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am hereto help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further. My goal is to provide 5 star service, Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any questions, let me know I will be happy to help.