Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Heard pop and abs lite came on while pulling a trailer now

Customer Question

heard pop and abs lite came on while pulling a trailer now have poor pedal and abs activates every time i stop
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

i am assuming the brake fluid is full ?

if so if you remove the big 60 amp ABS fuse out of the under hood fuse box and drive the truck will the ABS stop activating and will the brake pedal be better ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that what i need to try
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes pull that fuse and drive it and see if the brake pedal will work good and the ABS stops activating

let me know i will be here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i pulled it and drove it seems to have better pedal and no abs activation
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok the odds are and is a very common issue on these 2003 trucks is an issue called unwanted ABS activation and is usually caused by a front wheel speed sensor signal wrong or reading 0 when the wheel is actually turing and the ABS thinks a wheel is skidding and will activate the ABS when it should not be and cause this issue

ideally it would be great if you could drive it with a scan tool connected to the truck and monitor wheel speeds and see which one is not reading correctly but most people do not have a high end scan tool to do so

the best action to take is to visually check for any up and down play in both front hubs with the front wheels off the ground one hand at 12:00 and other hand at 6:00 if you feel any up and down play that hub/bearing must be changed

if NO up and down play is felt then inspect the wiring to both front sensors if the connectors and wiring all look good then pick up 2 new front wheel speed sensors and remove the old ones and clean the hub surface off where the sensors meet the hub to bare clean metal then pop them in flush by hand then tighten them down

that should correct this issue you are having

don't forget to rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what was the pop i heard and weak pedal ad abs lite coming on when i was towing thats when it all started
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

hard to say what the pop was other than the possibility of a hub popping in the front

go the direction i said to stop this unwanted ABS activation issue

and be sure both front hubs are good and nothing is loose in the front end also while you are there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

anytime

you can always get me back through this post for FREE with any follow up anytime even after you rate us here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i get u back
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

book mark this page or save your emails that have the click on to reply back to expert which when clicked on should bring you right back to this page anytime

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?