Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

2000 S-10 pickup 2.2L spins ok, but will not fire. Fuel

Customer Question

2000 S-10 pickup 2.2L spins ok, but will not fire. Fuel gauge shows over 1/4 of a tank, I dump two 5gallon gas cans, and without checking the battery it starts up good. Is there a check valve that letting gas back down out of fuel lines, or tube below
the fuel pump that could have a crack in it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

please explain your question?does it start after you put in the 10 gal. of gas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

does it run well now?please explain

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like nothing happen before.

let me get this straight,it starts and runs well now as if nothing was wrong?

was it hot when it wouldnt start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, set in driveway overnight.

does the engine light stay on now while it is running?

if so,can you give me the computer codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No engine light.

ok,,it doesnt have a check valve for the fuel other than the pump itself

sense you get no codes and from the way you explain,,i think you may have one of two possible problems

1-a bad crank sensor

2-a bad ignition module

if it ever does this again,,you need to test a couple of things,,you need to know if it still has a spark on the plugs and if it will start with a prime[with starting fluid or some fuel into the throttle body]

that would let us know what you are loseing

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

www.dropbox.com/s/1rvie8o7icce2ly/1024-s10-Locations%20View.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rvie8o7icce2ly/1024-s10-Locations%20View.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First time happen 1/8 tank, I'd kick myself for running that low. Then at 1/4 tank, I start keeping a 2 gal. gas can with me at all times. Driving down the road at about 1/4 tank it would die. On side of the road add 2 gal. can, and drive off into the sunset.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
15 months ago had fuel pump replaced, warrant is 12 months. When I pull in to a gas station at half a tank, it takes 8to9 gallons to top it off. With pickup have a 18 gallon gas tank, the gas gauge is working fine. Now the problem shows up when at 3/8 of a tank. like it cannot draw gas out bottom half of tank.

oh i see,you replaced the pump, tell me,did it do this before you replaced the pump?

what may be going on here is that the float level on the fuel pump module may be too close to the slosh guards inside the fuel tank,thus not letting the float come all the way down,this would let you run out of fuel though the float/gauge shows you have fuel

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
before pump was replace and after.

it sounds as if the float isnt coming all the way down

you may need to remove the pump,let the float come down to see if the gauge comes down to empty