Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 4wd 8cyl 5.3. Theswitch

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 4wd 8cyl 5.3. The*****switch doesn't work correct. It may work if I haven't started the truck for awhile, and I have the option to "switch" to 4wd high or low or 2wd (which is the default) but if I turn the truck off and back on immediately the*****isn't available and none of the options on the switch are available and truck in the default 2wd, but I can't switch to 4wd. I replaced the*****switch but it still does it. I checked the 4wd fuse and its good. Any help would be very very appreciated.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

the first thing i want you to try is to remove both battery cables from the battery,touch and hold the - and the + cables together for 5 seconds,then re-install them back to the battery,this will rset your bcm/tccm and may fix your problem,if not,i would think you will need to replace the transfer case encoder motor located on the side of the transfer case these will do tis sometimes when they go bad

thanks

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Transfer Case Actuator

1370, 4401 & 4470

14 - Coil

15661420$169.56

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace 136, 236, 246

Shift Motor

Old Style

B0.40.5

New Style

B0.60.9

Replace 241, 243

Shift Motor

Old Style

B0.40.5

Replace 1370, 4401 & 4470

Shift Motor

Old Style

B0.40.5

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlswdy7q49p9uyc/1024-chevy-4x4-Parts%20Information.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/nlswdy7q49p9uyc/1024-chevy-4x4-Parts%20Information.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for your response. I tried both the possible fixes & replaced the actuator but unfortunately that hasn't solved the issue. It seems to be an electrical issue. A strange one. Is there any other possibility other than the transfer case control module?

you do need to check the wire harness to the actuator to make sure it isnt damaged,,if the harness is good,i would think the problem is the tccm[transfer case control module]

thanks