GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2004 Chevy tahoe.....I've installed a Viper 413

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Chevy tahoe.....I've installed a Viper 413 remote start ....utilizing a flashlogic flcan module.....and the data mode connector between the remote start and the flcan.....essentially the only wires that are hooked up are the remote start
harness....from the viper.....the Data wire from the flcan going to the obd2 port and the pink ignition + input to the flcan.....those are all hooked up ....the remote start works ....the engine starts.....the door locks work......but when I leave the hvac
on......the idle is irradic.....it surges from 500 to 800.....it I turn the hvac off....it idles normal......it even does this with the key starting the vehicle.....it to I unplug the Viper and use the key.....everything is normal.....did I miss a wire .....or
do something wrong...?....any help is appreciated
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Can you tell me how many source wires you spliced into for your remote starter? Meaning at the ignition switch, did you use both red wires for power or just one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used all 6....both reds for 12v input.....purple to starter...p/w to second ignition acc......orange to acc.....pink to primary ignition

OK so your short one. The brown and orange, as well as white in the branch off to the back of the left dash fuse block. Brown and orange both must have an accessory feed, the white (second IGN) and the pin from the main plug are ignition. Starter you have correct and powers. Most remote starters have the option to have an accessory ground out for just this reason. Get a loose relay, use the ground from the Viper to the black wire of the relay, red and yellow to the battery feed at the main connection, and then the blue goes to the brown. Without this, its missing a feed, codes will set and errors will happen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brown is brake shut down....it's hooked up and working.....there are 2 oranges ..other than the one I mentioned above .....1 is (-) 200mA accessory output..the other is (-)500mA ground when locked / anti grind output

Brown from the ignition switch. I am not sure what the colour is from the VIPER, its not one that I have dealt with, but there should be a second one, your orange you mentioned with eh -200a, that should be the one you can use to control the second relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please see pictures so we're on the same page

Yes, the second accessory is not hooked up. Use the orange in the 4pin satellite harness to control the relay as the power requirements of the brown require it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what should the orange be hooked to.....what relay would it control?

your primary output orange goes to the orange in the ignition switch. The smaller orange goes to a relay to power the brown in the ignition wiring for the second accessory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would the remote start work and function properly without that hooked up.....the whole purpose of the flcan is to utilize that module and use the one data wire to control everything. ...locks ...accessories. ..etc.......everything works.....it is like it isn't reading the tach correctly. ....I've installed several vipers and never needed to go through a relay for anything. ......this is the first using the data mode on the flcan to cut out all of the wiring ......it's like maybe it's not programmed correctly.....or not seeing the tach signal correctly....but as I said.....everything works.....only idle is affected....

You not understanding what I'm saying. The issue isn't the wiring between your remote starter in the security bypass, it's the fact that you don't have enough power feeding the proper wires in the vehicle to make it operate. I've seen this several times. You need to hook up a relay to the orange wire like I described to fix this issue. Because the remote starter and the bypass module or different makes, and the vehicle is 12 years old, it's still uses high-power high amperage wires to control things. It's only in the newest vehicles that minimal wiring can be used to control things.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your sayin.....buy a relay.....orange(-200mA output ) on 4 pin satellite connector goes to ?.....ground from viper goes to black on relay.....red and yellow go to 12v + supplied by what?.....and blue gets spliced into the brown second accessory in ignition harness.......and this will change the idle issue how.....I'm all for it ......if that's what needs to happen......I wouldn't be asking if I knew....just trying to make sense of it in my head....

Black wire from the relay harness goes to orange in 4 pin satellite harness white and yellow from relay harness get spliced to red main power feeds. Blue gets spliced to brown second accessory feed. It's a computer controlled throttle. Without all the proper Feeds, codes set and issues happen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll go get a relay and give it a shot......can I get back to you shortly

Sure thing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found a relay in the shop....here's a pic....how do you suggest hooking it up....

There will be numbers stamped into the bottom. Using regular crimp connectors that slide over the pins, your wire colors will be as follows.

85 will be black, 86 will be white. 30 will be yellow. 87 will be blue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few and I'll let you know how she does.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The black is to be hooked to orange accessory......white and yellow to 12v main power.....and blue to brown ignition second accessory? .....and that's correct with your numbering as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that worked for my idle......it is idling correct now......thank you.....but now the door lock function is not right....on my new viper remote......unlock fine....but lock does not.....

Was the lock correct before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
again......there are no wires hooked for that function it is through the OBD port wire.....but it was working before.....now when you hit lock.....it chimes the door sound

It sounds like a data link error caused by a bad ground. My opinion is that connecting the remote starter to the security module with hard wires is far better than relying on the data feed between the two. I find its always problematic despite what the manufactures say. Find the lock and unlock wires for each and install those and see what happens.

Also consider doing a reset of the security module in reprogramming it now that it has the proper ignition feeds set up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now the idle is worse....it is definitely programming...

Ok. So that part I cannot help you with. Is there support from the place you bought it from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now......with everything unplugged. ....and unwired......no remote start components at all.....it won't idle with the hvac module on.....it jumps from 400 to 900 constant......turn the hvac off....it idles and runs normal......now it has U1026 code.....loss of class 2 communication with ATC....

Ok, what ground wires did you splice into? Any loose connections? If no the take battery cables off, touch the ends together for 10 seconds and put back on. Clean the throttle body and check all fuses. See what that does next. I cannot stress enough how important solid the connections need to be. I won't use crimp connectors, rather i will solder all terminals for that reason.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No ground splice.....used new grounds for remote start.....everything is soldered.....nothing loose....

Ok, do the vehicle reset and learn and see what that does.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vehicle reset?....with scanner.....not an option.....can do crank shaft pos..variation learn...and tons of others ...but no vehicle reset.......or do the battery....?

See my post 3 back about the battery cables.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Issues til you turn on hvac.......no codes in any module.....history or active.....but as soon as you turn hvac on.....it surges....and then comes back up to 575 rpms......

Mehta did you use for the tach signal?

What not Mehta. Got to love apple.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None....not required per flashlogic

Have you tried driving it to relearn the idle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No....it won't even start now with remote start.....it tries but shuts down........it didn't do any of that until relay was installed......now having said that....it did idle normal.......but then the remote start stopped working.....as well as the locks....and the idle is messed up all the time even with key......but only messed up when hvac is on.....

There is a wire messed up somewhere and if not, something with the combination of modules you are adding is not compatible despite what it says, and I cannot tell which without looking at it in person. I will open this up for other experts. Maybe one of them had this happen.