Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2004 Tahoe Z71. Just changed upper intermediate steering

Customer Question

2004 Tahoe Z71. Just changed upper intermediate steering shaft to get rid of clunking issue. Now hearing a whining type noise from column area. at idle or low speeds. Steering input doesn't seem to change pitch. Any thoughts
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)

During the repair see if you may have moved anything that is now touching the steering gear or shaft or firewall and is picking up the engine vibrations and transferring that to the steering column as a hum, whine noise. See the steering gear is loose or its mounting bolts have it in a bond causing pump noise to transfer up the steering shaft.

----------Once you get an answer----------

1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type.

2) The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.

3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, they pay me nothing to help you.

4) I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.

5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation.

6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.

Thanks Chris