JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

Working on my 92 Accord EX and I may need to replace my

Customer Question

Working on my 92 Accord EX and I may need to replace my brake vacuum booster. Dealership wants $550 to replace it with an O'reillys booster. I found a rebuilt one on Rock Auto and I am wondering how difficult is it to replace this. Also, a piece of the
door weatherstrip is torn and could you tell me what is the best adhesive to repair it. It is just a thin strip at the top edge of the door. Thank you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 1 year ago.

what are the brakes doing or not doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't worry about that...just answer questions.

it takes 2.2 hours.... im asking because a lot of mechanics miss diagnose boosters its bolted under the dash thru the fire wall and the master cylinder needs to be removed from it...not terrible but not easy... If the pedal is rock hard then its ikley your booster... as for the weatherstripping 3m automotive tape or replace

FUNCTION TEST

1. With engine turned off, depress brake pedal several times, then depress brake pedal hard and hold for 15 seconds. If brake pedal sinks, a brake line, wheel cylinder or master cylinder is faulty. Repair or replace as necessary.
  2. Start engine with brake pedal depressed. Pedal should sink slightly. If it does not, the booster or check valve is faulty. Repair or replace as necessary.

LEAK TEST

1. Depress brake pedal with engine running, then stop engine and hold brake pedal for 30 seconds. Pedal height should not vary. If it does, the booster is faulty. Repair or replace as necessary.
  2. With engine turned off, depress brake pedal several times using normal pressure. When pedal is first depressed, it should be low, then with every consecutive application pedal height should rise. If it does not rise, check booster check valve.

CHECK VALVE TEST

1. Disconnect brake booster vacuum hose at booster.
  2. Start engine and let idle. Vacuum should exist at hose

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you