GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

The chevy dealership has had my truck week and replaced the

Customer Question

the chevy dealership has had my truck for a week and replaced the def system and still getting a check engine fault which will send the truck into reduced power mode. I need to take it to another dealership. is it safe to drive it with that light on?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

it should be safe to drive, but after several fails the ecm will limit the truck on mph. would drive it straight to dealer with restarting it several times. On this system after the repairs are made there are several resets that have to be done that are not mentioned in the service manual. The dealer may have the problem fixed and just needs to perform resets. Also certain codes will cause ecm to ignore other failures. I have has 2011-13 duramaxs in the past that after I repaired the Def concern, I would find NOX sensors that had failed and not set a code due to the DEF code setting first.