Scott
Scott, Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Master Tech, ASE Master tech- automotive
24665677

I have a 6.5 chevy diesel with po216 and p1214 codes. runs

Customer Question

I have a 6.5 chevy diesel with po216 and p1214 codes. runs great till 170 then sputters and smokes.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

Both of these codes are related to pump injection timing. Were these codes setting before the injection pump was replaced? has the pump been timed and relearn performed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they were there before the pump, I did a TDC offset relearn but it remained at 2.46. The actual timing is 1.8 -2.3 once it hits 170
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

that is where your problem is. Once the learn is completed on a warm engine it should be between -0.75 degrees or as close to it as possible. If you are out of the 0.0 to -1.0 range it will set this code. It does not take much movement to change the timing. 1mm of movement is the equivalent to almost 1 degree.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I loosened and moved the pump in both directions and the 2.46 never changes
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

You are either not moving it far enough or in the wrong direction. There is a timing adjustment procedure and a timing learn procedure. When performing the adjustment procedure the offset degrees should be at 3.5 (actual timing). Once the adjustment is made, perform the timing learn procedure. This should result in a learned position of -0.25 to -0.75 degrees. The 2.46 you are getting is that actual timing or the learned parameter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the TDC offset, actual is at approx. 2.1
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

yes. actual needs to be 3.5. at 2.1 actual you need to rotate the pump towards the drivers side. once you have actual at 3.5, perform the learn again and it should be close to -0.75. If you keep moving to the drivers side with no change from 2.1 you either have a problem with the pump or the timing gears.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try again in the morning
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

ok, let me know how it works for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Loosened pump and moved it all the way to the driver side, no change and then all the way back also no change
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

it should have at least changed from 2.46 to -2.46 when moving from one extreme to the other. If it stays at 2.46, check for worn or miss timed timing gears or the pump itself is faulty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have always had good luck with the pump manufacturer, so I am going to tear down the front cover and inspect the gears
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled the front Covery and everything looked good, called and got another injection pump and installed it. The reading is still 2.46 with no change when turned. Called identifix and was informed to look at the pcm, took a good pcm out of another truck and swapped it truck startered ran crappy for a out 15 secs then smoothed out and the tcd offset now says -1.42. Adjusted and it settled in at -.61.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just reinstalled the old ecm and it says 2.46 again. I ordered a new computer will update when it gets here
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

The computer is original computer is not recognizing either the camshaft or crankshaft signal. You can verify the sensors are working properly by reading Hz on the signal wires from each of the 3 sensor signals. From what you have said though the ecm will fix it. If not let me know and I can provide you with the wire locations at the ecm and what they should read per engine rpm.