GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a problem on my leftgate Tahoe

Customer Question

Customer: My name is Rob
I have a problem on my leftgate for my Tahoe
(liftgate)
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when using the key fob or interal switch on the console it unlocks and I can hear the motor working. However it does not lift on it's own.
also the glass on the hatch does not release anymore. the struts are fine on the liftgate
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One other note. The defrost cable has detached from the rear window. The problem I am having started when I tried to solder the cable back on. I'm wondering if I shorted something.
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob, I am Cam. Can you tell me what year your Tahoe is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Tahoe is a 2007.

Ok the issue with your liftgate not opening electronically is the liftgate actuator. Inside the actuator is a nylon gear and it's surely stripped. Sadly the gear is not available on its own. The actuator as an assembly must be replaced. It takes about an hour and the actuator is about 500. This is not related to soldering the tab back on.