GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2008 Silverado 1500 4.8. Battery tests at 12.76 v

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Silverado 1500 4.8. Battery tests at 12.76 v and tested load and alternator and both work great, but every now and then clock resets on radio. Mostly after car has not been driven but on a couple of occasions it has happens right after a long drive. Only electrical I have done to the truck is change headlights, and yes this was right before the problem started.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name? Do you ever have to boost the truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the truck fires right up every time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and my name is Nick

Hi Nick. Do you have your serial number handy so I can see which radio options you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not have the radio serial number with me at the moment. I can look if you tell me where

How about this, I found a bulletin (information only) and it suggests there isa firmware issue of a couple radio options. In your glove box, there is a sticker with MANY 3 digit codes. Tell me if you have codes UM7 or U1C. If you see either of those codes, then the issue is that the radio needs to be updated. Programming of the radio is done at a dealer as they need to connect the programming interface to the truck, connect that to the computer and GM programming server to update the software. It should however only take 15 mins and cost 45-60 in an honest dealer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neither of those codes are listed

OK, on your registration or insurance card is the VIN, can you get that for me now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vin in 1GCEC14C08Z108844

Ok so nothing more is showing for bulletins so this could be a bad ground wire. The connection to ground is under the passengers seat on the base of the centre console area. IF that ground is good then its likely a flaw in your radio. The ground is #10 in the attached picture.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check the connection, just see if they are together?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife spilt about 3 bucks in loose change and I'm finding allot of that as I search for this wire under the carpet. Reason to believe a possible short is occurring?

Get under the carpet, take the ground wire and bolt off, check for painted surfaces and corrosion. If that’s good then its not likely the ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going to take some time to get that done. Will this chat still be available later

Yes it will be. Please bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it so we can continue the discussion. This is done by pressing (CTRL D on PC and CMD D on Mac). You can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you rate the site and I will reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much I will let you know how it ends up. Right now I'm finding that things are a little moist around the carpet. Maybe she spilt a coffee as well. Good times!

Sounds like its possible.