Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I am not a professional car technician/mechanic; however, I

Customer Question

I am not a professional car technician/mechanic; however, I do work on my car. I purchased gm part # ***** rear dvd entertainment system for my 2008 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ. The instruction manual indicate part # ***** I am in the section of the body control module area which I'm not able to follow completely (page 8 of 39). I disconnected the J3 body connector from the BCM, removed the blue lock and terminal from cavity C3. I did plug the terminal into cavity A of the 2 way connector (small black piece) Delphi 21 which has both A and B. I think is that is the 2 way connector. Next the instructions indicate to plug 2-way connector into the mating connector on the jumper harness. This part is confusing to me as there's a black wire with a round metal piece at the end which I cannot figure where to connect. Do I need cut the round end. I inserted the red wire of the DVD jumper harness into cavity C3 of the J3 body connector. The red wire end/clamp is different than the connections that are in the J3 body connector. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. My confusion is in regards ***** ***** 2 way connector and the jumper harness.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Since the part number is ***** then what the instructions call for I would make sure you ordered/purchased the correct part number harness and kit for this here.I have seen before where incorrect part numbers will have different terminals,wiring or connections and will not work fully on certain models.If you can provide your VIN number I can try and double check this for you just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Pete,My VIN is 1G1ZK57728F200056
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k. the part number you purchased does fit your model vehicle.

Is there any way you can take some pictures of the wiring and connections you are working with and upload them here to I can see the issues that you are seeing?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Pete,The attachments are the pictures you requested. The 1st 3 pictures are the 2 way connector. The remaining pictures are the jumper harness.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay as I was off line last night.

Is the black wire one that has an open ring on it like a bolt goes through it?

Is the terminal different on the red wire then the terminals that are in the connector or should be in the connector?

The pictures are a little confusing to me as I do not see the black or red wire in them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Pete,My apologies for the delayed response. The answer to your questions is as follows:Is the black wire one that has an open ring on it like a bolt goes through it?
Yes, the black wire with the open ring to the bolt labeled G in the front instrument panel. I'm good on that one.Is the terminal different on the red wire then the terminals that are in the connector or should be in the connector?
Yes, the red wire terminal is different than the terminals in the J3 body connector.I attempted to attach additional pictures and the instructions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,Finally, I'm able to upload documents. The 1st attachment is the instruction manual. The attachments 2-5 are the 2 way connector. The attachments 6-8 are the 2 way connector with the terminal from the J3 body connector in cavity A.
Page, 8 of 39 states the following, "4. Plug 2-way connector into mating connector on jumper harness." which is confusing for me.The next step, "5. Insert the red wire of the DVD jumper harness into cavity C3." The end of the red terminal is not the same as the terminals in the J3 body connector. The attachments 9-10 are the pictures of the terminal from the red wire. Attachment 11 is pictures of the end of the terminals in the J3 body connector.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay as well.I was away for the weekend.

Unfortunately I do not see myself how this connects properly.Someone else here should have this info on how this is done.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete