JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

I have a good one. I bought a 1993 K1500 w/ 5.7 4L60e. The

Customer Question

Hi! So I have a good one. I bought a 1993 K1500 w/ 5.7 4L60e. The man I got it from said the trans or t/c would neutral out on upshifts at times. It did usually anything to do with 2nd gear; 1-2, and consistently 2-3. He included a boneyard trans and t/c in with the deal. I replaced the torque conv, in/output seals, filter, and eliminated the OE cooler and installed an aftermarket one. R&R'd trans. Also installed the t/c that was bolted to this other one after servicing it and changing all seals. The fluid condition in both was good, not great. (they got their $'s worth out of the fluid) Fluids were not burnt and no abnormal metal content. Assembled everything. Test drive: same darn problem with neutraling out in second. What are your knee jerk thoughts on this? Bad PCM? Harness issue? I traded horse $#!t for manure on the two transmissions? Give it to me straight doctor. I'm a big boy. Thank you!!!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 1 year ago.

sounds like he gave you a junk tranny to replace the junk tranny... the pcm would not cause this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible that there could be a problem in the harness from the pcm to trans? I have a schematic in front of me and there is are several wires that are shift sol specific.

you said the fluid was burnt correct, when a trans neutrals out its a pressure loss from internal failure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just think it is hinky that both transmissions have the same characteristics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fluid was burnt on the first one, but that could have been from me limping to my buddies shop.

burnt fluid is from burnt clutch and steels

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The replacement trans just had the normal "vehicle owner doesn't give a crap" maintenance schedule

as do most ....most people think changing oil is good maintenance , I would say either the band is burned or you have a leaking or damaged accumulator for 2nd or a damaged second gear servo or seal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just to clarify one thing. The replacement trans did not have burnt fluid or abnormal metal content. So how sure are you that it is a mechanical cof vs electrical?

can you manually shift into 2nd or third? has it ever hit second? have you checked line pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually did get it to shift into 2nd manually. I haven't checked line pressures yet. I have to borrow gauges from my work on monday

and was 2nd there? and was this a one time thing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was there, but I was gently driving it back so I didn't torch the brand new $130 torque conv and $60 in brand new fluid. I didn't even attempt 3rd

is the speedometer working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is

check shift solenoid b wiring if they are good ill stick with my internal failure answer..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right on. I will do that tomorrow, and maybe I can ask a few of my buddies and see if any of them have a gauge to check mainline pressures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I able to get back to you tomorrow with the findings with this service/website thingy?

ok,,, start with checking B

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you