Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I have a 88 Chevrolet 6.2 diesel..p30 step Van, It Boggs

Customer Question

I have a 88 Chevrolet 6.2 diesel..p30 step Van, It Boggs down after reaching running temperature in first gear starting out.. Any suggestions
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or anything you think I can do do fix a part that may be making this problem happen... Also seems to make it run rich.. Black smoke upon accelerating ...
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

did you have the injector timing checked??? there is a timing adjustment that can be performed but it requires special equipment to be set correctly. does it ever stall??

over time, the timing chain will wear and stretch. that directly effects the timing for the pump. that is why it needs to be checked.

I see you just added smoking. that is a sign of either injectors or a pump issue.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pump was rebuilt 3 years ago.. It's runs perfect until the thermostat opens.. Then is sluggish out of the whole only in first gear.. Hardly gets out of its own way... There was a really that was settling the warning light.. A low coolant light of somesort just about the glow plug/ waterinfuel lights.. The really number was 15581138.. I changed the tstat.. It came on intermittent and now only comes on when I turn the key for a sec.. When I totaly disconnect that relay.. No black smoke under the same condition but still Boggs in take off I first gear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never has stalled
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, I would gave the injectors check to start. if the pump was the issue, there would be some stalling issues.

you can have them cleaned and tested to be sure the pop off pressures are correct. I would start there.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why does it not do it all the time.. I also run injector cleaner in the fuel..
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

temperature directly effects operation of the injectors. using additives does not do the same thing. they need to be tested out of the vehicle in a bench tester for pop off pressures.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok... so if I start there can I reflect back to this conversation if I can't get nowhere else should they not be the problem...
I don't understand if they weren't right... why don't they do it all the time... the engine runs out real good on top end...even thro the 6.2 is gutless anyways
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

thats correct. you can log back in to this.

I had an 85 with a 6.2 that was a good motor. had to do timing several times until I overhauled it with about 250k.

if the injectors are not the issue, then we will be discussing the pump.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. I have 116808 original miles
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, keep me updated

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's a twist.... I just lost reverse backing up today at the end of my workday... do you think all or most of my problems are from my transmission all along.... Do you know what the factory transmission for this truck is... 350??.. not a good day... :(
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

yes, if it is a 3 speed, it could be a 350. they did put an optional transmission in it for the 30 series. if you could send me a picture of the trans pan. I will give you the type of trans that is in there.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roy
Yes I want you to get paid.. My email is slammed with Rate you.....to do so.. Wednesday my truck goes into a Transmission Shop to have my Transmission overhauled. . Due to No first gear or reverse since we started our conversation. It finally went out during our contact ( WHY DOES MY TRUCK BOGG DOWN AFTER REACHING OPERATING TEMPARTURE).. ALTHOUGH we had conversation about injectors, injector pump, timing??. You had told me your best guess was the injector pressure and timing.. that they needed bench tested... I even asked that why would they be fine at times and why when the vehicle reached tstat operating. .. We DID NOT discuss anything about my transmission possibly havng a problem.. so this is where we are at at the present time... Truck goes into the shop Wednesday for a transmission. . Should that fix my problem.. then nothing we discussed fixed my issue... you don't want me to rate you on that. . It wouldn't be fair.. but it would be the truth.. so when I get it out possible Friday if the issue still exsist.. we'll continue getting to the root if the possibilities that you propose might be the issue... you give me some heads up on some things that I heed to pay attention to. .. but to rate you before I have a remedy is just merely a conversation about my engine that didn't get me to my transmission. . And I am hoping that it all takes care of everything. . AND I'll rate you on your knowledge.. thanks
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

lets see what happens

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
heres what fixed my truck.. all other than what we discussed
After my reverse gear went out on my truck dury the time we were talking, and a very sluggish first gear..
I had my Transmission rebuilt, which took care of my trans problem, that may or may have not been part of our problem when I asked why my truck would be sluggish at times..
I also had to replace my Vacumn Pump as it was not within specifications. and not suppling enough vacumn to the modulator valve to help in shifty my transmission... along with my FUEL PRESSURE VALVE.. that was also not within specifications.. that MAY BE THE PROBLEM of why my truck was guttless... which is mounted on the return line from the Injection pump.... also did other work as I needed a motor mount, a flex plate, a neutral safety switch, so.. REALLY my question to you although YOU WERE knowledgeable.. did NOT lead me to a remedy in fixing my problem.. IF I WERE TO PULL THE INJECTORS and bench test them as you suggested.. I would have spent about 3-500.00 unnecessary dollars and STILL WOULD have had the same problem I was asking about. and should I have done that and then the Injector pump.. That you said you would steer me to next.. I would have spent a whole lot more dollars that would NOT HAVE fixed my problem.. MY biggest question in writing to you.. was . WHY WOULD IT act up sometimes but not all the time.. and why would it act up only when the engine got to operating temperature.. I think that that would have been a clue to it NOT BEING INJECTORS or INJECTOR pUMP or timing, and or gears that you led me to believe.. Knowledgable stuff to want to know tat for sure.. but it didnt lead me to the problem at all..... and YOU last message to me was.. WELL WE'LL SEE what HAPPENS... althought I spent alot of money fixing this particular problem.. I also look at the fact that I saved alOT lore unnessary dollars by NOT going on your suggestive point of procedures in getting to a remedy.. I also know you dont know the vehicle or have never even see or heard it.. so I understand that.. I am a bit confused ast to how to rate you or do you even want me too...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will add... that my truck acts like a brand new truck... its powerfull, out of the stop, it kickes down into passing gear and lights up.. with added peower.. its very responsive in accelleration.., still blows a bit of black smoke upon accecellation but most older deisels will do that when you accellerate them hard... feels like a new truck... I am pleased in the place that repaired my truck and took the time to address the issues I had with it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was a TRANSMISSION shop... with 30 years experience in Transmission and vehicles.. and NOT a engine repair shop as to major but does minor accessary repairs..