AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I have a 2001 chevy s10 2.2 litre. I was driving one day and

Customer Question

I have a 2001 chevy s10 2.2 litre.
I was driving one day and the truck just died (was running perfect).
Cranks but won't start.
Has spark, compression, brand new fuel filter, plugs and fuel pump.
The fuel pump does come on.
Tried to spray starting fluid into the throttle body and still does not start (no effect at all). Any suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

You would not get compression in all your cylinders if your timing chain was broke, you are correct. When you sprayed the ether into the throttle body, did it even stumble like it wanted to start? Or did it act exactly the same?

Sorry, I just realized you had written "no effect"

IN this case, we need to investigate your spark. Can you remove and inspect the distributor cap?

When you have the cap removed, try turning the rotor by hand and see how loose it feels. Its not uncommon to have a worn out distributor gear where it meets the camshaft that throws off your ignition timing off enough to prevent it from starting. I have replaced many of them for this exact issue. The only way to determine if this is the problem is to remove the distributor and inspect the gear at the bottom, but you can get a good idea by simply trying to rotate the rotor back and forth and see if it feels loose. inspect those things and let me know what you come up with.

Are you still with me?