Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 2003 Tahoe Z71 that just stopped as I was coming to

Customer Question

Customer: My name is Dan. I have a 2003 Tahoe Z71 that just stopped as I was coming to a stop. Truck would start, run for 30 seconds and then quit. Now it will not even turn over. Had a few shops look at it and no one knows what to do. One suggested an ignition component was bad. Any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Turn key and all seems normal, all lights on dash come on and then they all go out and nothing.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

the engine will not physically crank over at all ? and the battery has been tested good for volts and amps and NO bad cells in it and both battery cables are clean and tight ?

do you have a multi meter on hand ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery has been double checked. Have multi meter.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if you have someone hold the key to the crank position does the fuse called crank in the under hood fuse box show 12 volts at it ?

also when the key id held to crank do you feel the starter relay in the under hood fuse box click with your fingers every time someone holds the key to crank ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
doesn't have 12v and does not click
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you see if the big 40 amp fuse called IGNA shows 12 volts on both sides of that fuse testing it in place through the little openings in the tops of that fuse ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just went to check and the security light on dash came on and nothing is working
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

what does that 40 amp fuse show for volts on both sides of it ?

can you be sure both battery cables are clean and tight also

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Getting too dark out to see. I will double check everything and get back in touch
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok

if that battery is tested good for amps and bad cells and volts and both battery cables are clean and tight and that IGNA fuse shows 12 volts on both sides of it but the crank fuse does NOT show 12 volts at it when the key is held to crank position then the ignition switch is more than likely bad not the ignition lock key cylinder but the electronic switch that connects into the bottom of the lock cylinder

you can always get me back fro FREE through this post with any follow up anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?