JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

I have a 2009 Chevy cobalt lt when I turn the rear brake

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Chevy cobalt lt when I turn the rear brake drum its out of balance and every turn it'll rub and make a friction noise but it only one time for every rotation so is that the wheel bearing or brake drum? Both rear tires face inward so what can I do to fix that?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 1 year ago.

sounds like the wheel bearing has failed have you checked it for play?

its a solid rear axle if the tires are kicked in you can try alignment shims in the rear to compensate..But a alignment machine would be required,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the brake drum has play but I haven't pulled the brake drum to check wheel bearing only removed tire and checked the brake which has play

if it has play ith the tire / wheel bolted to the hub then the wheel bearing has failed..the drum is free floating so it will move

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What tools would you recommend I have to change the wheel bearing?

brake spring tool. 3/8 ratchet extension a torq set t 50 and a 15 mm wrench

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does brake drum need to be turned since I'm changing the wheel bearing as well?

its not required but not a bad idea...

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you