Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I have a 2003 Corvette and the headlights just started

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Corvette and the headlights just started coming up when I crank the car. the light switch is on...they just come up automatically
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

The only way to get into the diagnostic mode to get the diagnostic codes from the Body control module to find the fault, is with a special tool that can read BCM codes. However you have one shot of fixing it yourself and that is if there is something covering the ambient light sensor that tells the BCM it is dark outside and to lift the doors and turn on the lights.(thinking its dark)

That sensor is located on top of the dash, driver side below the grill plate for defrost. See if maybe something is covering it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks...I'll try that. I have a removable sirius radio on that side and I bet it's blocking the sensor...LOL

Very good point!

All it has to do is block off part of it and it will think its getting dark enough to turn the lights on!

See it happen way more than having a dead spot in the BCM computer!

Hope ive helped ya!

Please use the rating stars so i get credit for working with you today.

LJ