Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Shift cable on column of 2004 Chevy Avalanche automatic

Customer Question

Customer: shift cable on column of 2004 Chevy Avalanche automatic trans won't work
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: its stuck in drive cannot start
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes willing to wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

most of these issues are a matter of the shift cable under the drivers side of the transmission has just popped off the little lever on the side of the transmission

visually see if it popped off and if it did push the metal lever by hand on the transmission to align the lever to the cable and pop it back on with a pair of pliers if by chance the cable will NOT pop on or keeps popping off the lever the cable would need to be replaced

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

let me know what you find