Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Seats are from a 2000 Sliverado. I would like the BCM to

Customer Question

Seats are from a 2000 Sliverado. I would like the BCM to think the seat is occupied all the time so the bag will deploy in a collision in case I actually do have a passenger.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

did you have the air bag module re flashed to see if it would accept the other seats??

the bcm has no effect on the air bag system.

I attached a wiring diagram for you to review

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not looke into having the air bag module flashed. This seat has a "seat belt buckeled" sensor only. The previous truck had a keyswitch to shut the bag off. I am going to have to get to a larger screen or try to print your diagrams out in a larger format so I can read them. Esentially, I am hoping to install a couple of jumpers to make the and the truck think there is a passenger in the seat and the belt is buckled. If the seat belt module is located under the passenger seat, It is in my basement now still attached to the original seat. I may want to reinstall these at some point, so I am trying to avoid tearing them apart.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

according to the diagram, it is under the drivers seat. I would check to see if a re flash will take care of your issues before trying to fool the module.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me enlarge your diagrams so I can read them. Not sure how I would go about flashing the module. Part of tne problem is fitting it under the replacement seat with the power seat motor. Plus, many dealers are reluctant to tamper with module programming as not many technicians fully understand the code langage.
do you know if I could simply have the fault status display eliminated so I could see my odometer and other messages?
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

you could power down the module and see if it turns off the message. the IP module contains the display. if you could access the module, which is highly doubtfull, it may or may not be able to turn it off.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The original drives seat is powered. There was nothing under it except the seatbelt buckel sensor connection and a power lead for the motors. There is a module about 6" x 4" x 2" still attached to the originally installed manual passenger seat.
Who would I consult about flashing this? Again, in my experience, most dealers will not consider it.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

you could check with different shops that have tec 2 scanners that will flash the module. not everybody has them but phone calls will help track down who can do it and who cannot.

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roy, I cannot get the diagrams you sent me to enlarge clearly enough to read them. Even on a larger monitor, the resolution is so poor I cannot make anything out. Can you re-send them so I might be able to read them
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

yes, be glad too.

Roy