BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I am having severe issues with my 2006 Uplander with

Customer Question

Hi Gary
I am having severe issues with my 2006 Uplander with shifting from low to high gear. I often have to shift down to 3 even though the engine revs higher. It takes 20 minutes sometimes for the problem to go away to normal shifting.
Help.
Thanks
Jon
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jon, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question. Can you tell me how many miles are on the vehicle and if the check engine light is coming on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
178000 miles and yes the engine light is on
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. If the check engine light is on then you need to have the computer scanned for codes to see what is going on. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. Most of the time this is caused by a pressure solenoid issue in the transmission or it can also be an air flow meter that is reading incorrectly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is possible that I might not need the whole tranny rebuilt? Approx what do those 2 repairs cost? Some people online talk about replacing the plug wires. I don't have any severe jerks into gear, just getting it to go out of 2 or 3 into 3 or 4. Once it finally switches I could drive the car nonstop for hours.Just today it started getting worse and I couldn't even get it to go 20 mph.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that it is a serious transmission issue, but I would check these first as it is very common. If it is a solenoid it would be about $400-500 to repair. The air flow meter would be $200-300.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Bobby. I've never had issues with starting the vehicle or stalling. Will let you know what I find out.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know and we can continue if needed. Have a great rest of your night. Please rate when you can also. Thank you.