Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

We bought a 2001 3500 Silverado dually in 2003from a Chevy

Customer Question

We bought a 2001 3500 Silverado dually in 2003from a Chevy dealer. Nothing was ever said about a warning was send out , all the dealer said was I hope you have good luck with it. Then everytime my husband took the truck in for service, the service man would say, oh it's still running. Now it won't pass smog here I Caifornia. I understand we should have been sent a notice. And now Chevy doesn't want to honner. This was your only running vehicle, any ideas what. We can do
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

what notice did you not get ?

what did it fail smog for ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did not get the notice telling owner about the recall on the injectors for the 2001 3500 Chevy deisel. . The Chevy main office said we should have gotten a notice, they say take it in for the $250 check up then get back ahold of chevy, the main office is not sure if they will pay . And if they don't, I'm left with a dead deisel in the meantime. My husband wanted to know if if changing the fuel filter would help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

why did it fail smog ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the injector issue was a special policy to only have them tested if your truck at the time was experiencing the injector failure issue

the policy just extended the warranty on the injectors

As the owner of a 2001-04 model year Chevrolet Silverado or GMC Sierra or 2003-04 Chevrolet Kodiak, or GMC TopKick vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2001-04 model year Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra; 2003-04 Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick vehicles, equipped with a 6.6L Duramax diesel engine, may experience vehicle service engine soon (SES) light illumination, low engine power, hard start, and/or fuel in crankcase, requiring injector replacement, as a result of high fuel return rates due to fuel injector body cracks, ball seat erosion or high pressure extrusion. Symptoms of these conditions include illumination of the service engine soon (SES) light, low engine power, hard start, and/or fuel in the crankcase.

This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done

General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel injectors. If this condition occurs on your 2001-04 model year Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra; 2003-04 Chevrolet Kodiak or GMC TopKick vehicle within 7 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 200,000 miles (320,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do

Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is a convenient time for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glovebox literature for future reference.

Reimbursement

The form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special policy condition.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the voluntary recall was for the fuel filter

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

is it failing smog due to an injector failure ?