Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

What pressure should my fuel pump be?

Customer Question

what pressure should my fuel pump be?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

Dead head fuel pressure is 20 psi. Flowing fuel pressure spec is 14-15psi.

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested my fuel pressure with an inline gauge. It was about 10 psi before the fuel filter. I've been searching for a new pump and most online stores say my vehicle only requires a 12psi pump. I read somewhere it should be about 35psi. Now I am confused to which one to buy. My motorhome has no power after about 50% throttle. That is why I tested the fuel pressure as that is a common fault
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have replaced the fuel filter

Adjust the fuel pressure to 14-15 PSI by grinding off the tack-weld on the adjustment screw on the pressure regulator so it can be turned.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I am after a new distributor and coil. What do you recommend? I want some thing that is easy to fit but better then standard. I want it to remain computer controlled advancing, not vacuum.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry where is the pressure regulator?

I have always used OEM ignition parts, I have never tried aftermarket ones, so I do not have a opinion on other brands. The pressure regulator is i nthe top of the throttle body assembly within the fuel meter near the injectors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay but the fuel pump only putting out 10 psi, so I will need to replace that first. Do you think the standard oem distributor and coil gives a strong enough spark for LPG as my vehicle runs on both gasoline and lpg. I mainly run on lpg because it is half the price of gasoline here in Australia. I am looking at replacing the distributor and coil as I lost spark on Tuesday when the vehicle warmed up. It was fine once it cooled down again but only at low revs and throttle. I am guessing it is the distributor as I don't have a scan tool

Your getting into questions I do not know the answer to. I do not work on LPG vehicles, so any advice on that would be a guess.

I took on this question "what pressure should my fuel pump be?" because I knew I could answer that.

If you dead headed the pump and only got 10psi then, yes the pump needs to be replaced.

For the other issues, they need to be addressed in a new post, the website only allows us to work on one issue per post.

I hate that you spent money to get your question answered, though left not pleased with my help. I am still here available to help. We can start over from the beginning or where we left off.

Thanks Chris