Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Engine stalls during cool/cold outside Temps when coasting

Customer Question

Engine stalls during cool/cold outside Temps when coasting tons top one or two times after first start of the day. Cranks fine, idles fine, as RPM drops approaching a stop, engine stalls quietly. Once warm...no problems at all
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

does the check engine light ever come on ?

do you know if there are any codes set in the computer ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't read engine light...no power to jack. Also..light is always on due to fuel tank sensor inop
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you check and see if the fuse # ***** in the under hood fuse box is blown it is called LTR usually that fuse is blown when the jack is dead

can you change that fuse and see if you can pull code numbers ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roger sir...brb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replacing it now...please stand by...nice gig btw...helping folks inline! Much appreciated!
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

it helps a lot of people out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cam shafts position sensor b circuit
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

what is the code number ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stand by
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are doing it again...we didn't take the number down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0365...this is the one we hope
P0014...camshaft sensor
P0106...barometric pressure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

usually with a somewhat basic stall like this cleaning the throttle body out will correct this issue

BUT with those codes set that can be causing this issue

i would first clean the throttle body and make sure the engine oil is full then replace the MAP sensor and clear the codes and see if :

A ) the truck stops stalling

B ) no more codes are being set

keep in mind you can always get me back through this post for FREE anytime with any follow up with this question anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer

as i do not get credit for my work until rated

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok..I will let you know soonest
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

sure thing

we need to go at this slow as we are hoping the 14 codes does not come back if it does then we need to dig deeper into the 14 code of a bad cam actuator solenoid OR the outside chance the timing chain has play in it causing that code

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not as worried about the code as the symptom....if it doesn't stall in the mornings...I will be happy with that. I already bought the cam actuator sensor that was called out twice..understanding it could be caused by something else. But the cheapest way after cleaning the throttle body would be the map sensor. Car runs perfectly other than the one occurrence in the morning if I don't let it warm up....I will let you know soonest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry.meant the cam actuator sensor is much cheaper than the map sensor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Idles at normal rpm even in cold weather. And if I let it warm up...never happens. The old carburetors were easier to trouble shoot!
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

thats fine let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does that make sense? understand the risk of not clearing all faults...but that one symptom that honestly I have let go the last few seasons, is all I hope to fix
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes it did

i would start small and clean the throttle body and since you already have the can actuator install the new one and make sure the engine oil is full and see if it stops stalling

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !