Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

1994 Chev. C1500 5.7l Recently changed the starter on this

Customer Question

1994 Chev. C1500 5.7l
Recently changed the starter on this vehicle the normal way I have done so in the past.
This is the fifth starter change since owning it for 21 years.
My issue is the starter just grinds on the flywheel teeth and will not engage the flywheel.
All connections clean and secure, battery full charge..
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if you pull the starter out and turn over the flex plate by hand inspecting the teeth on the flex plate are any ground down or missing or show signs of any kind of damage at all ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gary, what part is the flex plate? Is it the starter motor itself or the flywheel housing? In either case the teeth on both the flywheel and starter motor are intact and show no signs of damage. What can I do next?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

it is the big toothed part of the flywheel the starter contacts to crank the engine over

is the starter drive itself coming out and contacting the flywheel teeth and grinding into the teeth and not turning the engine over ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it is grinding the teeth on the flywheel and not meshing properly as it should.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if the teeth on the flywheel are good and none are damaged at all then there is something defective with this new starter or they built it with the wrong teeth on the starter

bring it back and get another starter if by chance the replacement starter does the same thing there has to be something damaged on the flywheel teeth nothing else will cause this issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Gary. I will do as suggested and get back with you. Thanks for your patience. My work schedule sucks and I am trying desperately to make the time to complete this project.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

no problem at all