Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 2002 Chevy 1500. Just bought used. Key was hard to

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Chevy 1500. Just bought used. Key was hard to turn like it wouldn't catch. It had started fine this morning but when I went to start it later, I was jiggling the key as I tried to turn it. Finally turned and I then lost all power to truck. Nothing would work. Key seems to turn easier now but nothing turns on. Lost all power. Where do I start to try and fix?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like your ignition switch has failed. It's possible that once you disassemble it you might find that the key cylinder is also bad, but you won't know until you take it apart. Do you plan to make the repairs yourself?

I can send diagrams showing how it's done if you want to tackle it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was going to try myself. At least changing out ignition switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I suppose I need to buy a new ignition switch before I can really start as I need to replace it? Key cylinder too?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I would probably check the ignition lock first since it sounds like something broke in there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Do you have info on how to disable SIR system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, without me taking it apart yet, do you happen to know if I need 10 pin ignition switch or 14 pin? At auto store and they were not sure and neither did I. Or do I need to take it apart first?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Here is how you disable the SRS.

As far as which connector, you would have to pull the connector to see which one it takes. I would assume that the 14 pin is for automatic and the 10 pin is for manual transmission, but that's just my assumption.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'll let you know how I make out and if I have further questions or I fix it.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. I'll be happy to offer any additional information that you need.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to check and see if you needed any additional information. I would also appreciate a positive rating if I have been of some assistance. Thanks!

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate. That's how we get paid. Thanks!