GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I replaced the ignition switch and cylinder in my 2004 chev

Customer Question

I replaced the ignition switch and cylinder in my 2004 chev impala. my nephew said the car wouldn't start and the key in ignition wouldnt turn to start the car.
I couldn't get key to turn in the ignition either. . I also noticed when I first looked at the car that the steering wheel would turn freely and I thought that odd because I thought the steering wheel should be locked when the car was off. I also noticed the car was in drive gear... I took console apart and took out ignition switch. I played around with the steering column shifter and was able to move it into park.
I then replaced the ignition switch and put new cylinder in. The car still wouldn't start but the ignition key would turn. a locksmith that came out and reset the security code or whatever it's called and now the car will start. Very happy with that!! But the car will not shift out of park. It's stuck in park. I've stepped on the break etc.. I've taken that cable out of the back of the ignition switch as t
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also the battery was dead and the positive cable was corroded and had actually fallen off the post and I think that maybe caused the initial problem. I bought and new battery and installed it before I replaced the ignition switch and cylinder.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, first check and see that the brake lights are working. If not, replace the brake switch. If they do work, then let me know and we will need to check the shift interlock system itself

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The brake lights work. Can't do anyone work on it until Saturday morning. Working from 7am-9pm on friday.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, I will be here all day Saturday, so let me know when you are able to do some testing and checks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

you are welcom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Torrential down poor today. Will text tomorrow.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

no problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric, I'm at my car now. I started it. It's running as I'm texting this msg. It still won't shift out of park. The brakes light work.
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, Eric must have had to step out. Do you still need help? If so, do you have a column shifter or floor/console shifter?