GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

06 duramax suddenly tons of smoke while driving down hwy

Customer Question

06 duramax suddenly tons of white smoke while driving down hwy checked balance rates found #6 was at 7.6 and #1 was -4.0 and never moved while in gear so I replaced both injectors now I have light white smoke and still a fuel knock but all balance rates are good. No codes and rail pressure is hood
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name please? Just to confirm first, #6 is third back drivers side and #1 is front passengers side, second, does your scanner allow you to disable the injectors one at a time? I think you still have a bad injector but a fuel knock and smoke won't show with the balancing rates, to diagnose that you disable with a scanner one at a time and see which makes it stop. Then you replace that one. Unplugging is not an option. If you unplug an injector, it disables the group of 4 and causes many other codes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are right on the cylinders I replaced and no my scanner will not allow me to shut any off only see balance rates. The truck does not smoke at idle only on a pull above 2500 rpm not sure this will show that way
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh it's Jay

Ok Jay. Does it show balancing rates at 2500 rpm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

Ok, I hate to say it but the next option is to get our hands on a scanner that will allow us to disable injectors one at a time. That way we can narrow down the injector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would efi live do it

I have not used EFI live so I cannot say for sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your help keeping me in the right direction

My pleasure. We will get this sorted out for you.