GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Having trouble with my headlights. My daytime running lights

Customer Question

Having trouble with my headlights. My daytime running lights are on during the day, but when I go thru a tunnel or nightime arrives the instrument lights up but then the headlights go out. I've changed the light sensor on top of the dash board close to
the windshield, andluck. headlight switch and no luck. Help!!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am CAm. Can you tell me if the headlights come on when you manually turn the lights on with the switch? Also with the manual switch on, do you get high or low beams by pulling the dimmer on the stalk/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing happens when I do it manually, except that the instrument panel will light up. when I use the stalk nothing happens

Ok,mnext do you have a test light? If so can you test for power at each of the 4 fuses in the Underwood fuse block for the lights? Each side high and low has a fuse. Do any get power with the lights on manually?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the underwood fuse block?

Drivers side under the hood, black cover below the master cylinder area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are those the big block like fuses?

These will be small mini fuses. The map on the underside of the fuse block will be your best guide to find those.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It shows that all of the fuses are good

Ok, fuses are good, however do the high beams fuses and low beams fuses get power in high and low? And low with the DRL'S on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am located in New York, so it's nightime, the DRLs aren't going to come on Lol, so I have to check them in the morning when they will come on. I'll get back to you by 12pm eastern time

Sounds good.

Any updates?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet , a little busy yesterday, but I will dedicatedly do it today

Awesome, thanks. I am online albeit in the shop so I am no more than a few minutes from a reply.

any updates?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I finally checked the fuses, and all of them work when the high beams are on and when the head light switch is on.

Ok so you get power at the fuses with the daytime running lights on? If this is correct, then we have a problem with the low beam relay, wiring to the relay from the Body Control Module (BCM) or the Body Control Module (BCM) itself. I would suggest you replace the low beam relay next.