Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

My 03 chevy silverado 1500's fuel guage reads empty. Once

Customer Question

My 03 chevy silverado 1500's fuel guage reads empty. Once you start driving it, it slowly begins going up but keeps fluctuating while you drive so you can never get a true reading. I just replaced the fuel pump 25,000 miles ago. Any clue?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

the best action to take with this problem is to cut this problem in 1/2

when the key is ON and the gauge is reading E when you know its full unplug the 4 wire connector at the top of the fuel tank fuel pump module connector if the gauge goes to F then there is an issue with the resistor card or something with the sender in the fuel tank which you can try to locate just the sender to replace on the fuel pump module or replace the pump module again

if it stays at E then either the purple wire is NOT getting 5 volts to it from the computer or the possibility of a computer issue but 99 % of these issues are the senders in the tank on the module causing this problem

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !