Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 2011 chevy malibu ltz with 40k miles on it, a few

Customer Question

i have a 2011 chevy malibu ltz with 40k miles on it, a few days after getting the oil changed my service air bag light comes on and does not go off?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

when the air bag light is on the air bag system when the air bag computer tests the system has picked up on a reading out of range or possibly high resistance in one of the wires or an air bag component

where you planning on fixing this yourself ? or looking for a good idea before it went to the shop ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wouldn't be doing it myself. Unless it's some very easy fix.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the problem with you being able to fix this yourself at home is to know what part of the system the issue is in we would need a scan tool to pull the air bag code or codes set in the air bag computer or have a shop pull the codes for you

these issues can be as simple as a seal scale out of calibration to a seat position switch error to just a bad connection at one of the air bags

this will be very challenging to fix at home without knowing the codes

i do not think or is highly unlikely anything the shop did during the oil change caused this issue you are having as the shop would have to way out of there way to cause this type of issue

is there any way you can get the air bag codes read ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am all set it was a lose connection under the seat. Found that on the Internet. I would have thought that is where u would have had me start for 28 I got nothibg
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

well without knowing what codes are set and you did not state that anything was touched inside the car so it would have been a lucky guess to start there

i am glad its fixed and will put in for a full refund for you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate that thank you
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

anytime