Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I just bought a 06 cobalt with 2.2 ecotec. Apparently it has

Customer Question

I just bought a 06 cobalt with 2.2 ecotec. Apparently it has been 20k miles without an oil change. Upon removal of the valve cover there was a solid, but thin layer of sludge (i assume this is consistent throught the engine) valves and cam and such appeared
to have normal wear. Would you reccomend using seafoam to remedy this issue and what steps should I take when using this product
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

with sludge like that inside the engine it is best to use a motor flush product or the seafoam and follow the directions on either of the cleaners and usually most are adding to the oil and running the engine at idle for the amount of time they say to idle the engine then shut off the car and drain the oil out and then remove the oil pan to remove and sludge in the bottom of the pan as if you do not remove the pan to remove the sludge it will clog up the oil pick up screen and starve the engine of oil and damage the bearings

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow. Pretty vague answer complete waste of money. Canceling this service immediately
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how is that vague ?

any off the additives you add to the oil will break up the sludge and build up and all of them you run the engine at idle then remove the oil pan to clean out the sludge in the bottom of the pan

i am unclear on if you wanted me to make up procedures here

i told you the steps that are taken it is a very simple process to remove the sludge