Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Having problems with my 98 chevy tracker horn worked on and

Customer Question

having problems with my 98 chevy tracker horn worked on and of now does not work at all tok horn off tried on another vehicle worked fine ,fuse is good wont work on this vehicle
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

do you know where the horn relay is in this Tracker ?

do you have a multi meter or test light on hand ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe the relay is behind the glove box
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes it is open the glove box all the way and get to the horn relay

it should be second up from the bottom of the 4 relays the bottom one is the turn signal relay

once you find the horn relay when you push the horn switch do you feel that relay click with your fingers ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no there is no click
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

pull that relay out and 2 of the 4 terminals that the relay plugs into should show 12 volts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok what color should the wires be
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

2 solid greens should be 12 volts and the green/black should be a good ground

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
k will check
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

im sorry my mistake the 2 solid greens should be 12 volts

if they check out jump one of the solid green wires to the green/black wire terminal will the horn work when you do that ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no power
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

in the inside junction block is the fuse called STOP/Horn a 15 amp fuse blown ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no fuse is fine brake lights work
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

are you sure those 2 solid green wire terminals do not show 12 volts ?

and you are sure you are at the horn relay ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the only relay with green wire like I said press horn button none of the relays click
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

it should have 2 solid green wires to the horn relay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
total of four green two solid
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok if neither green shows 12 volts and that fuse is good then the issue is the green 2 wires from the fuse to the horn relay are broken or bad and it is best to just fun 2 new wires from that fuse to the horn relay

to be 100 % sure if you jump a power to the green/black wire terminal with the horn in the tracker will the horn work when you do jump it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
doesnt seem to do anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
green and black wire dosnt even show ground
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

what are you testing these wires with ?

a multi meter or test light ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
test light
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

something just does not seem right like the test light is bad or not connected up correctly

with the horn plugged in and you add 12 volts to the green/black wire terminal it should send 12 volts to the horn

and also we are missing both powers from the dark green wires is odd also with the fuse good

if you jump 12 volts to the green/black wire and get to the horn will the green/black wire show 12 volts at the horn ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
idk going out there to chase the wires down now ,it is very strange indeed
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you confirm the test light good when the clip is connected to a good ground and you touch a power with the test light tip it lights up ?

if so retest those 2 solid green wires that the horn relay plugs into and confirm the test light clip is on a good ground

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
test light is god
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok double check those 2 solid green wires for 12 volts

also jump the green/black wire terminal with 12 volts and see if at the horn it shows 12 volts when jumped

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok moved some wires around and now I have power jumper the plug horn works but still dosnt work with horn button
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok does the 2 dark green show 12 volts or not ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok great

so if both greens show 12 volts and you jump power at the green/black wire and the horn works then the last wire which should be a blue/green at the relay should show a ground when the horn switch is pushed

if it shows a ground when the horn switch is pushed the relay is bad

if it does NOT show a ground when the horn switch is pushed then this issue should be the horn switch under the air bag or the ground under the air bag for the horn switch is bad or broken and basically sends that ground out the switch to the horn relay as seen in this electrical schematic which is basically no ground is reaching the relay from the horn switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shows power when relay is out plug in relay and shows slight ground
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if that wire is NOT a good ground when the horn switch is pressed you need to get to the ground under the air bad and see if the horn switches are sending out a ground when pushed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry my bad shows ground even all the time
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if that shows a ground all the time when the relay is in the horn would blast all the time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it possible there is a problem in that plug ??????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok got ground working at the horn button not coming through to the relay
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes the terminals could be the problem

but from what you are telling me you tested the ground that is supposed to trigger the relay is not a good ground

you have both powers and if you jump the power out the horn wire the horn works

the issue is the relay bad or the terminals the relay plugs into or the ground from the horn switches

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
idk I loose the ground coming out of the clock spring
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if the ground signal is going into the clock spring but not out the clock spring is bad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but there is no air bag light on ???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when you turn the wey on air bag flashes the right amount of times
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the horn contact goes through the clock spring the clock spring not only is for the air bag the horn is run though it also

if you can ground the horn wire out of the clock spring and the relay will activate and the horn will get 12 volts then the issue is the clock spring or the horn switches or the horn switch ground under the airbag

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it is the clockspring why is it just affecting the horn and not the airbag ?????
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the air bad wires are different wires through it

who knows why the air bag wires are not being effected

but if you tested and the clock spring had a ground into it with the horn switch pushed but NO ground out of the clock spring then the clock spring is bad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I jumper the horn part to be sure cause I tested the clockspring through the airbag part and has continuity ???
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes put the relay back in and ground the horn wire out of the clock spring does the horn show 12 volts at it when you ground it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just bypassed from horn button to th big plug on steering column pushed the horn button triggers the relay but doesn't blow the horn ?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok at the horn is it showing 12 volts at the green/black wire when the relay is activated ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

when that horn wire is jumped and the relay is working is the relay sending out 12 volts out the green/black wire ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no relay was bad horn works with jumper
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok with a new relay is it working now ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
except for the clockspring part
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok great

so if you ground the wire OUT of the clock spring and the horn will work and going into the clock spring it is showing a ground when you push the horn switch then the clock spring is bad

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

you can always get me back through this post for FREE anytime with any follow up with this question anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just always thought that when the clock spring was bad air bag light came on ?????/
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

no

the air bag uses different wires though the clock spring

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !